Thursday, November 03, 2016

At Long, Long Last ...

Dave – L.A. Dave as he's known to most in my world – was the most – I mean the most – die-hard Cubs fan on the planet. Also, he knew everything about everything. So I am very confident that Dave could have sat across from any fan in any bar, nurse a root beer (he didn't drink), and win any trivia contest any day of any week of any year.

He also owned about 400 Cubs hats. Hey, we all need a vice.

The day he died – in 2009 – I wrote a post about him that ends with these words:

"He never saw his team win a World Series. But I’m rooting for him, this year. For them. With Dave up there on their side, how can they not go all the way?"

His family asked if they could use the post as a eulogy at his memorial service. I was beyond honored and touched.

One of his Cubs hats was included in one of the floral arrangements that day.

His mom mentioned that the family wanted some of his friends to have some of his hats and gave me one that day.

I wore it on the 3-Day that year. But mostly, it spends its days on a shelf in the closet by my front door.

Last month, when the Cubs clinched the pennant, I posted this to Instagram and included, "Here's to adding tonight's to the cosmic collection, my friend. Wish you were here."

I didn't know if I could watch the game last night. But then I thought of Dave, looking at me from the great beyond, saying, "You didn't watch?!"

So I watched. And I watched. And rode the roller coaster with all the other Chicago fans. And pondered sleep but stayed awake.

And then, that final play. That throw to first.

And tears.

I remembered a photo that's been in a pocket of my purse for years and years.

This is Dave. In one of his many, many, many hats from his beloved Cubs.

The Chicago Cubs. The 2016 World Series Champion Chicago Cubs.

At last, Dave.

At last.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post. I've been thinking of Dave since I heard the news first thing this morning. Dave would have appreciated that I fell asleep early and missed the game. In college, whenever I tried to watch baseball with him and Martha,I always fell asleep before the end of the first inning. We used to joke about it.

My husband, who was also one of Dave's college friends, and I have already decided that we must have Chicago-style hot-dogs from our favorite local hotdog vendor who is a huge Cub's fan also.

Will be raising a root beer to Dave and his beloved Cubs.

--Kathy

12:42 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Chicago-style hot dogs! Perfect!

1:20 PM  
Blogger ryan said...

So beautifully eloquent. This brings me to tears every time I read it. Thank you so much for keeping the flames of Dave's memory alive in your Heart…

7:27 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Oh, what a lovely comment, Ryan. Thank you.

Dave is never more than a thought away, whether I hear him say, "Hi, Beth! It's Dave" in my head or when I stand at the stove and stir vanilla pudding and think about him not understanding why I'd make any flavor other than chocolate. :o )

Hugs to you.

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home