Friday, March 11, 2016

In Search Of Authors In Search Of A Book Coach And/Or Editor ...

I really enjoy working with clients who are working on books, at every stage.

I really enjoy helping people talk through their projects, and I really enjoy helping them work through the nuts and bolts of editing and proofreading and formatting. I've helped clients self-publish directly to Amazon and I've helped clients who were working with self-publishing companies in addition to editing manuscripts that were published traditionally.

My work with Dr. Starla Fitch began with a referral. Starla was in need of someone who could format her manuscript to her self-publisher's very exacting standards. And I was happy to tackle that for her. But along the way, I spied instances in which I saw opportunities to make improvements, which I suggested. Starla was a dream client and very receptive, and so we ended up working together until Remedy for Burnout: 7 Prescriptions Doctors Use to Find Meaning in Medicine arrived in the world.

As the publication date drew near and our work was wrapping up, Starla wrote this to our mutual friend:

Just wanted to let you know that when Beth read over the interior layout proof of my book, I decided she could also be a pathologist or a diagnostic radiologist or a forensic investigator. She can see things that the average person cannot. And, it is going to make my book a better read for my clients, which is awesome. Thanks again for the referral.

Another client, Richard Greene of Clarus Advisors, wrote Building Value: The 5 Keys for Achieving Success.

His recommendation of my work on LinkedIn reads:

"Not only did Beth do an excellent job editing the book, but her ideas to make it better were invaluable.

She beat every deadline and provided encouragement when it was most needed. I do not think I could have made a better decision in hiring a professional editor.

If you need an editor, I highly recommend contacting Beth."


And I was honored to be one of the editors of the New York Times' and international best seller The Last Lecture.

My dear – and dearly missed – friend Jeff Zaslow was kind to include me in the Acknowledgements but what he inscribed in my copy of the book truly touches my heart:

"I am completely grateful to you for the advice, editing, cheerleading, and creative input you gave for this book.

I remember being unsure of where this was going and I appreciated your clear-eyed skill at pointing me the right way. This book is better because of you."


I was very touched to read that that the night he wrote it. It didn't dawn on me until years later that his inscription is the book-coaching recommendation to end all book-coaching recommendations.

I've edited titles of fiction, business, and wellness, too.

Do you have a book project that's ready for its close-up? Or do you know someone who does?

Please do leave a comment or contact me through my web site or share this post on Twitter and Facebook.

If you need someone to help you get your book project moving in earnest, I'm here. Let’s talk about what’s holding you back. Let’s talk through the areas that you feel aren’t working. Let’s work on an outline and a writing schedule so you can put into the world the things you most want to convey. Or, let's talk about your challenges with the nuts and bolts of writing. Or your need for editing. Or formatting. Or proofreading. Or self-publishing.



Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home