Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Sometimes A Girl Just Needs A Cookie ...


For as much as I like to bake, I haven't been quick to attempt many grain-free recipes. Which is for the best, really. Because when I do bake something, those somethings don't last.

To wit, my latest favorite flourless cookie.

I found a recipe a while back for flourless peanut butter cookies. With dark chocolate. And I made them fairly often.

But I'm mostly off of peanuts in addition to being off of grains (save for the occasional out-and-about, ready-to-gnaw-off-my-arm emergency Snickers bar), so I've become a devotee of almond butter.

And the other day, having made a Costco run, I had a bag of dried tart cherries in the house. Which I'd been eating out of hand but which, in a flash of inspiration, became the latest inclusion in the almond butter cookies. Which I'd been making with dark chocolate. And chopped toasted almonds, too.

Folks have asked me for the recipe and I've shared the link for the flourless peanut butter numbers and then explained all my tweaks. It'll be easier to share this link. And so, I give you ...

Flourless Almond Butter Cookies with Dark Chocolate, Toasted Almonds, and Dried Cherries

1 cup creamy almond butter*
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Dark chocolate chips (I use Ghirardelli 60% cacao chips)
Toasted almonds, chopped**
Dried tart cherries

Dump the first five ingredients in a bowl and mix until incorporated. Mix in the chocolate, almonds, and cherries. Portion in two-tablespoonful mounds onto parchment-lined baking sheets. (I use the large OXO cookie scoop.) Bake one tray at a time at 350°F for 13-15 minutes. Cool on baking sheet for five minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Yield: About 24 cookies

* You could use crunchy if you like, and perhaps skip the chopped toasted almonds. Or supplement the chopped toasted almonds, better yet.

** I toast mine from the freezer for about 15 minutes at 350°F. Regardless of their starting state, just toast 'til they're fragrant, then let 'em cool.



Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger dstoutholcomb said...

sounds wonderful!

Denise

9:35 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Thanks! They're right tasty and – better yet – stupidly easy to whip up. No waiting for butter to soften and all that. Just dump, stir, portion, bake.

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home