Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Good Deeds ...

Yep, that's right. Easy good deeds. Not that all good deeds should be easy, but if you can help others with ease, that frees up more time to do more good deeds.

Free Good Deeds

My browser's homepage is set to The Hunger Site and the site is also the first bookmark in my "Morning to-dos" folder. So I visit, I click (all the tabs for all the sister sites), and then I share the link on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, with a little nugde: "Have you clicked today?"

It takes mere seconds to click through all the sites. It costs nothing. It is a fine way to begin the day.


When I want to while away a few minutes, do a good deed, and challenge my brain, I pop by freerice.com. For each correct answer, Free Rice donates 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program. The site is addictive. Before you know it, you'll have donated a lot of rice.

Check out all the categories (I'm partial to Famous Paintings and English Vocabulary myself):



Get-Something-In-Return Good Deeds

If you're local to Chicago, you need to know about Open Books. It accepts donations of used books, sells those books in a fab book store in River North, and uses the proceeds to fund literacy programs.


And if you're not local to Chicago, you need to know about Better World Books. It saves books from landfills, sells them, and uses the proceeds to fund literacy programs and libraries.


The Gift That Keeps On Giving Good Deed

And then there's Kiva. For $25, you can help fund a microloan to an entrepreneur almost anywhere on the planet. Once the lendee repays the loan, you can loan $25 again. Over and over and over. I've relent the same $25 eight times. (Only one of my loans has not been repaid in full, and that lendee only defaulted on a dollar of repayment to me. I feel bad for her. I hope she's OK.)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home