Sunday, August 18, 2013

Bread Just Gets In The Way ...

My sleep has been wonky.

Friday night, I dozed off at 7:30 – yes, in the evening – and woke up to my phone ringing. I looked at the clock: 9:30. I tried to peer at the Caller ID on my phone, but I had fallen asleep with my contacts in and my vision wasn't cooperating. When I was finally able to focus, I saw that the call was from ... Aurelio's Pizza.

Huh?

I checked for a message. Nothing. So I presumed that someone at Aurelio's had misdialed.

Crap.

If you're going to wake me up, pizza man, the least you can do is deliver a pie. Sausage and mushroom, for future reference. Thanks.

I stayed up for a couple hours and eventually drifted back to sleep.

And then I woke up at another wonky hour.

So I watched a few episodes of "30 Rock." I have a few seasons on DVD and there really is no better way to watch a show. Uninterrupted. Twenty-two minute snippets. In just over an hour, three episodes. Wham, bam, thank you, Liz Lemon.

I had watched a few episodes here and there during the show's run, but now I'm able to see it in its greater context. It really is brilliant. Sitcoms rarely make me laugh out loud.

Later, after daylight had broken and I'd had some iced coffee, mom and I went for a walk to the farmers' market. I saw a man with a very, very cute dog on a leash. But he wasn't very near me, and mom stopped to chat with someone she knows. By the time the chat was over, the man with the very, very cute dog was nowhere to be seen. Sad. I wanted to pet him.

Alas.

Mom and I ran to a butcher shop to buy bacon. For years and years, we've been buying bacon – and ham – from a butcher in Wisconsin, but it's been a long time since a ham-and-bacon run has happened.

But this bacon was lovely. Beautiful, even. The road-trip-to-Wisconsin-to-buy-ham-and-bacon days may be behind us. Beautiful local bacon is one hell of a find.

At her house, she fried up a pound and I made a BLT using leaves of romaine as the "bread," with a good smear of mayo, a few slices of thick-cut bacon, a small handful of grape tomatoes, halved, and a good grind of pepper and salt.

It was fabulous, if a bit messy. All of the flavors, none of the bread. Next time, though, I think I need to employ some iceberg lettuce leaves and make tidier bundles.

A few errands later, I was back at home and amazed that it was only 11:30. Days are much longer when you begin them in the dark.

I had a pesky headache that wasn't going away. So I flopped down and watched more "30 Rock." A lot more, actually. All of Season 3.

Night fell.

Aurelio's didn't call.

Alas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home