Sunday, July 28, 2013

Pleasantly Not Repulsed! ...

I went to the store for Swedish Fish, which is not something for which I usually run to the store, but Angelo is in Vegas and in his showroom, there are snacks and he had posted pictures on Twitter and this year, he bought theater-size boxes of candy because let's face it, the fun-size treats have long since ceased to be fun, and the very first image I clicked on was the image of the Swedish Fish which I love but which I don't have very often because, well, come to think of it, I'm not sure why not because Swedish Fish are awesome, so I ran to the store to buy my own theater-size box of Swedish Fish because that's the only way they can be had at the grocery store, though the whole situation is heavy on the packaging, light on the fish, but that's OK because I really only wanted a few of them anyway, just the red ones, because I like the weird red flavor but a "few" is a misnomer because on the way home, I had five.

(Thank you for indulging my Faulknerian meditation on Swedish Fish. I just bowed.)

ANYHOO.

While I was at the store, wandering around, thinking that I should probably leave with more than a box of Swedish Fish and a bottle of low-fat chocolate milk, I headed down the aisle that houses oatmeal, because I've been pondering a cookie that would require oatmeal, which is on the bottom shelf because as mascots go, a Quaker isn't the sexiest option so there's really no reason to keep him at eye level, and besides, people who buy oatmeal can probably benefit from having to bend over to pick it up, and that's when I passed the Pop-Tarts which are absolutely at eye level and which take up far more shelf real estate than you'd expect, and holy hell, do you know what I saw?!

Frosted Chocolate Peanut Butter Pop-Tarts!

And yes, I immediately thought, "THESE ARE REESE'S IN POP-TART FORM!"

And, Swedish Fish aside, I thought of Angelo again, because he loves Reese's, as do I, as does any sane member of the human race.

And Pop-Tarts were on sale.

On sale, people.

So I had to buy them. For research's sake.

I had to.

So I did.

And just a little while ago, I put one – just one – in my toaster and set it on the lowest heat setting, as instructed, and didn't even let it toast for a full toast cycle, and removed it to a paper towel and let it cool ever so slightly and broke off a piece and popped it into my mouth and, as the title of this post has already revealed, I was pleasantly not repulsed!

It's not quite the same as a Reese's, because it's a Pop-Tart, but they're definitely related in the flavor department.

And, hello, check out the callout on the box:

Multivitamin schmultivitamin, Gone Nutty! Pop-Tarts are a "Good Source of 6 Vitamins & Minerals," vital information which is presented in a rather Dr. Seussian font, to boot, to further drive home the fun!

Will I eat the rest of them?

I don't think so.

But I am very glad to have bought them, and tried them, and photographed them, and written about them.

Angelo, in case these had somehow not yet penetrated your consciousness, you may want to search them out. Maybe keep a box in your luggage and warm them up with the irons in the closets of hotels.

For when you're on the road and it's late and you're left wanting for something chock full of preservatives and crap.

In other words, when you've run out of Swedish Fish.


6 Comments:

Blogger jim marquis said...

I saw those advertised on TV and felt a little spasm of fat boy joy in my heart. I need to pick up a package (even though I'm sure my wife will give me a big load of good natured ribbing).

11:32 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Hear hear! Buy into the marketing schtick and let yourself try 'em!

11:37 AM  
Blogger jim marquis said...

I had my first one today and have to say it was pretty darn yummy.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

The center part is pretty good. The edges are standard-issue, parched-earth Pop-Tart dryness! :o )

2:19 PM  
Blogger angelo said...

Pleasantly Not Repulsed, may be the best header to a blog post.

Ever.

I will try them and I look forward to not being repulsed. Pleasantly. Carry On.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Why, thank you. Indeed, I was happy when it popped into my head, that title.

Please do report back with your findings!

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home