Thursday, February 07, 2013

Oh Kevin, My Kevin ...

I will watch Kevin Spacey do anything. I will watch Kevin Spacey wait for a bus. I will certainly watch Kevin Spacey on Broadway. I will repeatedly watch Kevin Spacey sing John Lennon's "Mind Games." I will happily watch Kevin Spacey impersonate Al Pacino, upon request, while seated next to Al Pacino.

Kev is making the rounds again these days, promoting "House of Cards," his original series for Netflix. I am no longer a Netflix subscriber, though if anything could woo me back, it's the prospect of seeing Kevin in something new.

I don't remember when I first fell in love with him, but my adoration goes way back.

In the current issue of Entertainment Weekly, he offers his take on many of his roles over the years. It's a great feature. (And I'd link to it for you if I could find it online. Maybe it'll post next week.)

There are many quotable moments from him – no surprise there – but one of my favorites is: "People ask me, 'What's the most exciting thing about doing theater? Is it the applause? The laughter?' No, it's the silence. It's when you know you have a thousand people on the edge of their seat and they are breathing or not breathing because of something that just happened."

Ooh, I love that. The silence. Awe-induced silence.

And of "Beyond the Sea," he says, in part: "There was some criticism that I was older than Darin. I never understood that. People accept that someone can fly around buildings like a spider, but not an actor who's a few years older than they character they're playing?"

I went to see him when he toured to promote the movie. How can you not love an actor and director who launches a concert tour to promote his film?

And afterward, I wrote a letter to him.

And he wrote back.

Just a very brief thank-you note, but I love that he took the time.

I called a friend the day it arrived, giddy. When I read it to her, she said, unimpressed, "Oh."

And I said, "Oh, I'm sorry, did you get a better note from Kevin Spacey today?"

What's relevant to each of us is relative, to be sure.

Kev is relevant to me.

Someday, I would like to buy him a drink.

Pacino should come, too. That'd be fun.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Dave said...

If you haven't - check out the original British 1990 version of House of Cards with Ian Richardson.

I am a fan of Kevin too but I cannot see how this original could be done any better. It's great!

I guess the trip across the pond essentially means they borrowed the storyline and not much else. I quit Netflix too, so I probably won't get to see the new one either. Odd that it was 23 years before someone had the idea of an American version.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I've heard great things about both.

Perhaps I can housesit for someone with Netflix and do nothing but watch TV for a few days!

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home