Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Popcorn For Squirrels ...

I had gotten on a popcorn-eating jag.

I never eat it at the theater. I don't eat anything during a movie. It's just not my thing.

But at home, I like to make it. On the stove. In a pan. With a bit of oil. The way it should be made. Salt sticks to it nicely that way. And a little melted butter never hurts.

Not sure what to have for dinner? Popcorn!

Settling in with a DVD after a long day? Popcorn!

But then I got to thinking about whether it was good for me, and really, popcorn hulls are little shards moving through our digestive tracts, and that can't be good for us. Not to mention that corn isn't a vegetable, it's a grain, and I'm trying to cut grains out of my diet.

So I resolved to pitch my popcorn, which I keep in the freezer because it seems to pop up better from that state. White popcorn, not yellow, because it's prettier.

And then I thought about the squirrels who root around in my back yard for food, and I wondered if squirrels ate popcorn. So I Googled it – of course – and yup, squirrels and popcorn are A-OK.

I'd had friends tell me about popping popcorn in the microwave, no oil needed, no nothing, just a bag. So I scooped 1/4 cup of popcorn into a lunch bag, folded the top over twice and creased it good, put it in the microwave and set the timer for two and a half and hit Start.

I watched the turntable spin around, half expecting the bag to burst into flames. But nope, I heard a pop. And then another. Just like microwave popcorn. Because it was microwave popcorn, minus all the worrisome crap.

I listened to the popping and hit Stop maybe a bit prematurely. But there's little worse than the smell of burnt popcorn, so I erred on the side of caution.

And I retrieved the bag and opened it up and holy crap, it was lovely!

I tasted a kernel. Tasted fine. A bit bland what with its lack of oil and salt but fine.

I opened my office window and dumped it on top of my covered air conditioner.

I think the squirrels can get up there.

I hope so. I'd hate to think I was taunting them.

Maybe I buy them their own little bowl and set a batch on the ground.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home