Friday, December 28, 2012

Wherefore Art Thou, Cookie Slicer? ...

This isn't so much a post as an extended tweet. I need to ping my baking pals on Twitter for some advice but I don't use those "tweet longer" sites because a tweet that's longer than 140 characters is no longer a tweet. It's a post. Also, I want to include multiple images. So here we are.

I'm wondering if any of my aforementioned baking pals can help point me toward a kitchen tool I would love to own, that I have not yet been able to find. Perhaps because my Googling skills aren't what they used to be or perhaps because what I'm in search of doesn't exist. But before I go down the path of commissioning fabrication, I thought I'd try crowd-sourcing this sucker.

What I'd like is a variation of a butter slicer, a tool I can use to slice rolls of cookie dough into identical slices.

A butter slicer limits me as to the diameter of what I can cut. And while I suppose any wires that can slice through butter can also slice through refrigerated cookie dough, it seems like something a little more sturdy might be in order. Especially for the purposes of wear and tear.

I was also thinking about something on the order of an adjustable pastry cutter ...

... but with fixed blades, not wheels. I need to cut straight down, after all.

Kind of like this ...

... but different. These blades are serrated and seem too tightly spaced.

In my head it looks something like this, multiple blades fused to a handle that would allow me to cut a whole roll in one fell swoop. Behold my quick, crude mockup:

Gail? Stella? Sarabeth? David? Anyone else? Thoughts?

I can't imagine that no one else has thought of this before. It must exist somewhere, mustn't it?

If not, thoughts for alternatives? If you have any brainstorms, I'd love to read about 'em in the comments.

Thanks for helping me think!


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Beth...I read your thought process...identical to mine..only difference is that I am slow so took me a couple of years to catch up to you. Was wondering if you found a solution? I was thinking of creating something on my own but I may have found the solution though I have yet to try it out. expensive tool just for cookies but I am looking into the cheese cutter tool. Cheapest I found that cut the thickness of 3/8" is about USD140.00. I know...I know...it will be an expensive cookie. That's what happens when one have OCD on thickness of cookies..uniformity cost $$. Let me know if you have found a solution.

-MY

10:45 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Hi, MY:

Nope, I haven't found a solution. But nor have I pursued baking commercially, so my need isn't as "needy" as it once was.

I still just use a chef's knife to slice the cookies. I have a pretty good eye for making them the same thickness. It takes a little while, but I don't bake a lot of volume most of the time.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Beth, I'm looking for something like that to. Here's a few options I found that might be helpful for you too:
1)Confectionery guitar cutter. I guess you can just buy the frame (not the base, as the whole thing is quite spendy)
2)Soap guitar cutter. Hey, if it's for home use why not use the same thing... just not as pretty. They're much cheaper vs confectionery guitar cutter
3) Confectionery roller cutter for caramel. Sort of a wood rolling pin with adjustable blades.
Good luck!
Claudia

4:27 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Good thoughts, Claudia. Thank you.

You're so right about guitar cutters being spendy. And I don't know why, given what they are.

The soap cutter is a good idea, if I could have one made to cut a thinner slice.

The roller cutters may not work for me given that the log of dough I'm cutting is a bit high.

But I just baked another batch of sablés yesterday and the whole time I was slicing cookies, I thought about this gadget.

Maybe I'l commission one this year!

4:41 PM  
Blogger P. F. Cookie said...

Did anyone find a device for cookies?

PF

8:03 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Not that I know of nor did I have one manufactured. I've also been making fewer sablés, though, so I've had less need.

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home