Thursday, December 06, 2012

Wherefore Art Thou, Christmas Spirit? ...

It doesn't feel like Christmas.

In most every other year, the day I put up my tree is sandwiched between two Thanksgivings, the actual day with family at their house and the Saturday following, when mom and I make a bird for the purposes of leftovers.

It's that Friday when I normally put up my tree. This year? Meh. Wasn't feeling it. A friend pointed out that Thanksgiving fell early this year, a whole week before he end of November. Good point. It usually lands a little later in the month.

But still, I'm treeless. I am decorationless. It may as well be July in here. Or any other month.

Maybe it's because stores start stocking Christmas stuff over the summer. Maybe it's because radio stations start playing Christmas music the day after Halloween. Maybe it's because temperatures have been flirting with 70. In December.

I'm a secular celebrant of Christmas. I don't observe it religiously. But I like the traditions of it. I'm sure I still do. My fondness for it hasn't fully faded. I still smile at homes decked out for Christmas. There is one, the next block over, that features a fabulously odd assortment of decorations. I need to take a walk one evening with my camera in tow. A picture would make fine seasonal wallpaper for my laptop.

I've bought a few gifts. Wrapped a couple, even. I turned on "Elf" in the background last weekend while I puttered about the house.

A little snow might do the trick. Just an inch or so. Just enough to make everything white and pretty for a moment.

And making a contribution to Toys for Tots.

And baking for the local firehouse, perhaps.

What kinds of things do you do around the holidays to make them meaningful?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand how you feel. The weather here is almost springlike. In fact, my daffodils are coming up. Combine that with the fact that an elderly family member passed away last night, and I just don't feel like putting up decorations and wrapping presents.

--Kathy

9:09 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Oh, Kathy, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I hope you have a warm and comforting Christmas with those you love.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home