Friday, December 21, 2012

Suddenly Christmas ...

Christmas arrived, just after dusk.

I hadn't been feeling the season. I'd bought gifts and I'd baked cookies and I'd shipped packages and I'd received cards. I'd gone to my niece's Christmas concert. I'd opened a gift. But still, it didn't feel like Christmas.

Maybe it was the dusting of snow last night. Maybe it was, well, I don't know.

But suddenly, it was here. I set down my laptop. I headed downstairs. I retrieved my tree. I checked the lights. And hauled it upstairs.

I headed back down for the box of ornaments and a few decorations, turned on Quiet Christmas, and decorated the tree.

And now I am sitting here, happy in its glow, sipping wine, and feeling so much better.

This is one of my favorite parts of Christmas. No planning and plotting, no shopping and fretting. Just quiet and peace.

I hope you've found yours, too.




2 Comments:

Anonymous dave said...

Happy Christmas Beth from the snow covered desert of Santa Fe.

Re your earlier post - yes, Hollywood can be infuriating! It is responsible for the biggest contradiction ever. It says it wants something original and the second question is, "So, what other, preferably successful movie is it like?" Aaah! The opening sequence to The Player is worth watching a hundred times. It's VERY accurate.

The adherence to writing format and plot structure is seen as the writer having bothered to learn their preferred - they think proven - constructs in both cases.

Your only chance of getting an idea accepted without jumping through those hoops is to get either a) a star or b) a director interested in your idea and wanting to be in it or to make it. This is how ET (just for example) got made when it was just a very short story. Spielberg wanted it - and what Steven wants Steven gets.

That "marketable" crap you were mentioning is simply to get "readers" to read your script. They get far too many and an unfamiliar format is their first and easiest excuse for throwing something out without reading so much as the first scene!

All industries have these gatekeepers unfortunately. And I have found the simplest thing to do is to learn what they expect to where it becomes a non-issue.

All the best for 2013. May it be creative and successful.

Dave

4:52 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I have a couple of ideas for sneaking into the system once I have something worth reading. We shall see.

A very lovely 2013 to you, too. I'm looking forward to a great year.

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home