Sunday, December 23, 2012

A Christmas Album Like No Other ...

I have had this CD since the mid-'90s. Until this morning, it had remained in its cellophane wrapping. Not that I thought it would ever be worth anything. It just struck me as too magnificent to alter from its pristine state. I mean, come on: the cover alone, right?

But this morning, riffling through Christmas music in search of some gift-wrapping accompaniment, I decided that today was the day that Bob and Dolores's gift should be appreciated at last.

I had always presumed it was a selection of Christmas music by various artists, licensed and shared by the Hopes.

No. Oh no.

I hit Play and was treated to "Happy Holiday" by Bob and Dolores themselves.

Awed, I knew that a blog post would have to be written. As I was settling in to write, still listening, still marveling, I heard myself say, out loud, in response to the next song that had started to play, "Is that Paul Lynde?!"

He died in 1982. So maybe not. Or maybe so. Maybe vocals had been recorded for years and were mixed into this collection when Bob and Dolores decided to make this CD.

(By the way, I've now typed "Dolores" so many times, in my head, I now hear Jerry yelling it out his apartment window on "Seinfeld.")

Suffice it to say, this is unlike any Christmas CD I've ever heard.

It is quite remarkable.

I can't believe I've deprived myself of this for more than 15 years.

I have a lot of lost time to make up for.

Moments later ... : I swear I just caught myself swaying in my chair, involuntarily. Well done, Hopes. Well done.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home