Friday, November 30, 2012

(Self) Promoted: Copywriter Seeks Additional Clients ...

This is the third in a series of posts promoting my professional services. The first post – Editor – is here and the second post – Proofreader – is here.

There are many answers to the question, "So, Beth, what do you do?"

One of those answers is, "I'm a copywriter."

Writing for myself is like breathing. Writing for others is like slightly labored breathing. It takes a little more effort.

Happily, I've managed to connect with clients with whom I click.

One relevant LinkedIn recommendation reads:

“Our company was looking for someone who could write copy for a few promotional pieces and a website redesign. We had a very specific voice we were seeking and could not be happier to have found Beth. She is an absolute dream to work with and though we have never met in person, she somehow just gets us. Beth is witty and smart and gives us exactly what we asked for - fun and energetic copy with a little bit of attitude!”

I've worked on several projects with this client and I hope to have another underway soon.

I was asked to write the company's About page as our proof-of-concept project. My contacts gave me a bit of input about what they wanted but, even more helpfully, they provided URLs to sites that illustrated expressly what they didn't want.

I thought about their self-stated target audience and rolled the dice and submitted this:

We could use this space to tell you that we're great. That we have an impressive list of clients. That our work dwells at the intersection of seamless and stealth. That we impact lives for the better every day so subtly that no one sees our stamp.

(Though we are. We do. It does. And we're off-the-charts proud of it.)

But everyone with a web site uses this space thusly.
Ever hear the adage "Telling is believing"?
There's a reason for that.
Seeing is believing.
See for yourself.
Look around.
Like what you see?
Let's talk.


That's exactly the copy that appears on the company's About page and we've worked together on several projects since. I appreciate their eagerness to create collateral with an unexpected tone and I'm glad that they see what I produce as clever, not strange.

I've written more straightforward, businesslike copy, too, but I like the challenge of approaching projects from unconventional angles.

Do you have a project that needs wordsmithing? Or do you know someone who does?

Please do leave a comment or contact me through my web site or share this post on Twitter.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home