Thursday, October 04, 2012

Turning Over ...

You'll have to forgive me for my sense of right and wrong.

It's making me a bit testy these days.

It's also leaving me at a loss for words.

I'll attempt to find a few of them now.

My brain is trying to wrap itself around the insanity that the Republican nominee for the Presidency of the United States of America stood on a debate stage last night and flat-out lied. Repeatedly. Brazenly. Knowingly.

Of course, Mitt's been lying consistently, so I don't know why I thought last night would be any different. A leopard, after all, cannot change its spots.

But still, I was left sputtering: "But ... but ... but ... ."

But what?

But what, indeed.

What do you do with a candidate who lies with abandon? How do you counteract that?

With facts, one would think.

But no. Facts don't matter to him. In fact, in a moment of exquisite brass-ballsedness last night, Governor Romney told the President that he's not entitled to his own facts.

Um, Mitt?

Mitt?

Mitt, can you hear me?

Mitt, you're the one who has been fact-checked to death in this campaign and proven to be a liar over and over and over again.

Of course, one of your advisors said that your campaign wasn't going to be dictated by fact checkers.

So once again, I don't understand why I should be so stunned by the ease with which you just flung that accusation at President Obama.

Who needs reality when you have millions stashed in the Caymans?

Honestly, I don't think Mitt wants to be the President.

Oh, I think he'd like to win. His ego would definitely like to win.

But I don't think he wants to be bothered with the actual duty of governing.

So being the nominee is enough, really. He can see how this race is going. But damn if he didn't accept his party's nomination and enjoy one hell of a balloon drop.

This is Nate Silver's Now-Cast from the New York Times. If the election were held today, these are the candidates' chances of winning.

You'll note that Mitt is up 0.9%. Without that bump, his number would have been 2.2%. Which means Obama's would have been 97.8%.

Mitt's performance last night won't change those numbers much either way.

But I'd like to think that all of today's reporting about Mitt's voluminous lies should drive his number downward, what little way there is for it to go.

Because, naive as I may be to believe it, it has to matter that a nominee for the Presidency is a bald-faced liar. It has to matter.

It just has to.

And it will.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home