Saturday, August 04, 2012

Really Rather Brief Movie Reviews ...

I am enormously late in seeing all of these, but as you know (or will know now), I broke up with Netflix last year, and so my viewing of movies fell woefully behind.

But I Redboxed a few flicks and watched all three and, well, they were all pretty watchable.

Friends with Kids
There was not nearly enough Hamm in it for my tastes, but given that his girlfriend wrote and directed it, perhaps they didn't want to seem ego-centric, considering she was also the lead. Good performances all around, but you go into it knowing how it's going to end, because all such films end that way because we get pissed when such films end otherwise.

The Ides of March
There was not nearly enough Clooney in it for my tastes, but given that he's not the protagonist of the film, I guess that's OK. Also good performances all around, as well as another bit of cement for my decision to never enter politics. Not that there was much chance of that happening anyway, despite regular encouragement from L.A. Dave.

Hugo
There was not nearly enough brevity in it for my tastes, but given that Scorsese can do whatever the hell he wants and that Sir Ben Kingsley could read me my Miranda rights and I'd be captivated, it was fine. Everyone who'd told me they'd seen it mentioned that it could have been a half-hour shorter. Yep, I concur. But I'm glad I stuck with it because the ending is delightful. Also, I do believe I was born in the wrong time. I could have happily lived there, then. Then again, I also could have lived in Lionel's office in "The King's Speech," and I already knew that I like older spaces.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Dave said...

Check out "360" - extremely good movie.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Duly noted. Will keep an eye out ... . Thanks!

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home