Sunday, July 29, 2012

One View From The Liberal Side ...

As much as I'd like to think so, I know that I'm not always right.

But I know that my heart is in the right place. I may not phrase something ideally or I may lose my temper, but at the end of the day, I care. I care about my family and I care about my friends and I care about my neighbors and I care about my country.

Which is why I find myself baffled, entirely, by what is happening on the other side of the political spectrum.

How can any person with a conscience believe that the rich people in this country need even more tax breaks and that we should pay for them with cuts to services that help those most in need?

How can any person with a conscience believe that it was OK to put two wars and tax cuts on the nation's credit card but not believe that we should rebuild our infrastructure here at home?

How can any person with a conscience believe that the banks that nearly destroyed the country's economy should not be "burdened" with regulations but that the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau should be fought tooth and nail?

How can any person with a conscience believe that the right for any individual to buy enough weapons and ammunition to kill thousands of people is absolute but that access to health care will be our nation's undoing?

I could go on. And on. And on.

This morning, I got into a Twitter exchange with a friend from way back who is very much a Republican and very much a member of the 99%. He, thankfully, has weathered the recession (some call it a depression) well, from what I've been able to gather. He still has his job. His wife still has her job. Their kids seem to be growing up and doing kids' things. They have a roof over their heads. For most folks, that's pretty much the American dream. I'm happy that misfortune has not knocked on his door.

But it has knocked on the doors of millions of Americans and, in many cases, it's thrown them out of their homes. It's taken away their jobs. It's ruined them financially because of an unexpected illness. Or a combination of all three.

And through it all, the Republican party in this country obstructs. From the day of President Obama's inauguration, it has obstructed.

Even as our bridges literally crumble as people drive across them and some of those people, in turn, die, it won't fund improvements to infrastructure.

Even as our citizens put off visits to doctors until they are too ill to recover and, therefore, die, it fights to repeal health care.

Even as our military continues to fight the longest war in our nation's history and soldiers, every day, die, it rattles its sabers and encourages a war with Iran.

What the hell is going on?

The friend on Twitter said that I view Obama as a saint who can do no wrong.

That is false.

I do not think he is a saint.

But I do know that he has the best interests of this country at heart.

And despite unprecedented opposition, he has accomplished a lot that is good.

Sadly, many of the people who have been helped by his policies have no idea of the help they've received.

So many members of the Tea Party screaming about their taxes. "Taxed Enough Already" read their handwritten signs. Even when told that they are paying the lowest taxes they've paid in decades, they refuse to believe it.

But it's true, they're told. Proof can be provided.

They have no interest in proof. They have no interest in facts. They have no interest in reality.

They listen to Rush Limbaugh.

They watch FOX News.

They have wholly bought into the gospel of lies.

"Keep your government hands off my Medicare!"

It's not willful. It's just ignorance.

And also: The President is black.

Yes, that's part of what's at play here. Yes, it is.

I have seen the most despicable images of our President, created by citizens of this country. One recently literally made me gasp.

The hatred for Obama runs deep for many in a way that it never ran for George W. Bush. But then, hatred for Bush couldn't be racial because he is part of our "esteemed" history of white, male presidents.

And so many are prepared to vote for Romney come November. Never mind that they don't like him. At least he's not Obama.

Oh, how I wish those people would just stay home.

Do they not understand the meaning of a Romney presidency?

It is hard to understand, I grant them, because Romney has no spine. His positions on everything shift with the wind. He was staunchly pro-choice when he ran for governor of Massachusetts but now he is emphatically pro-life because that is what the Right demands. He was for everything before he was against it, or against everything before he was for it. Just tell him what you want him to say he believes.

But at his core, he is a rich man with a sense of entitlement, who made much of his fortune from the misfortune he has inflicted on others.

And who now wants to be president because of his financial credentials but he refuses to let voters understand who that man truly is.

We're just supposed to trust that he'd do the right things for the country.

Like he did the right things for all those companies he forced into bankruptcy?

Please.

It's all baffling for someone sitting in the liberal seats.

A very, very rich person might want Mitt to be president to help ensure a future that favors the very, very rich. Even though there's only so much money one human being will ever be able to spend.

But how can anyone who is not part of that very, very tiny sliver of our society vote against their interests? How can they honestly believe that the GOP is staunchly on their side?

It baffles me.

I'm baffled.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home