Sunday, July 08, 2012

Oh, I Get It, Believe Me ...

I'm reading stories about Mitt Romney's Weekend of Obscene Wealth in the Hamptons and shaking my head.

Firstly, because many of the people who deigned to speak to the press refused to give their names. One man said identifying himself would be bad for his business. Anonymous condescension! Oh, goody!

And then there's this, from a woman who chose to remain nameless as well:

"I don't think the common person is getting it," she said from the passenger seat of a Range Rover stamped with East Hampton beach permits. "[T]hey don't understand what's going on. I just think if you're lower income -- one, you're not as educated, two, they don't understand how it works, they don't understand how the systems work, they don't understand the impact."

How much of your meager salary would you care to bet that this woman's name is Bitsy?

For the sake of argument, let's presume that it is.

Hey, Bits, you classy broad, listen up:

I don't play the "I'm a Mensan" card, well, almost ever. But I'm gonna play it tonight. Because a lack of income does not equate to a lack of intelligence. Because while I don't drive a Range Rover and while I don't have a home in East Hampton, I get it. Oh, believe me, I get it.

I get that your candidate wants to decimate Medicare and food stamps.

And I get that your candidate wants to give fine folks like you an average – average – additional – additional – tax cut of $264,000 over and above what they're already getting from the Bush tax cuts we can't afford.

And I get that your candidate has made his fortune in part by putting many, many, many people out of work.

And I get that your candidate has been very explicit in stating that he's going to get rid of Planned Parenthood, the only source of medical care for an embarrassingly large number of women in this country.

And I get that your candidate would actually attempt to kill Obamneycare, even though it was his idea in the first place and even though it's working just fine.

And I get that your candidate, by extension, would have no problem with children once again being denied insurance coverage if they suffer from pre-existing conditions.

And I get that your candidate, by another extension, would have no problem with stripping away all the other benefits that countless Americans are already enjoying, thanks to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.

And I get that your candidate has money stashed all over the globe, including a corporation in Bermuda that he transferred into his wife's name the day before he became governor of Massachusetts.

And I get that your candidate refuses to release a relevant sample of his tax returns even though it was his own father who released 12 years, explaining, "one year could be a fluke, perhaps done for show."

And I get that your candidate has been out on the stump, day after day, spouting lies that have been proven false long ago, but he feels no need to stop repeating them.

And I get, well, Bits, you get the idea, don't you?

Yes, we plebeians – that's fancy-word speak for "commoner," in case you didn't know – get it.

One woman, irked that she had to wait in a line of cars waiting to enter an event, stuck her head out a window and asked of a Romney event staffer, "Is there a V.I.P. entrance? We are V.I.P."

Of course you are, darling. And you've arrived at the delusion that your money makes you better than other people. But here's a hint: At an event that demands $50,000 a person (or $75,000 per couple; what a bargain!), everyone is a "V.I.P." Which – horror of horrors! – means that for the evening, you were – gasp! – just like everybody else in that line.

Because the real V.I.P.s of the evening were the ones who owned the homes more impressive than yours. Which is why you went to them, instead of them coming to you.

But since you're so educated, may I remind you of the fate brought about by the dismissiveness of Marie Antoinette?

Your money may buy you fancy clothes and fancy cars and sparkling jewels and the finest Champagne.

But there will always be more of us than there are of you.

And we get it.

And we vote.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home