Saturday, July 28, 2012

Come On, Sky Money: Travel Edition ...

Today, for no reason in particular, I decided that I want to do a lot of traveling. Like, a lot of traveling, which is impractical for those of us who are not independently wealthy. And so, in an effort to conjure a bag of money from the sky, I thought it best to lay out my intentions so the sky money will know that I'm thinking about travel specifically. Not abstractly. Nosiree, Bob.

So, then, a brief photo tour of a few places I'd like to go. Someday soon, please. (See? I said "Please." Good manners must count for something, right?)

New York City

I've been to New York City many, many times, but there is no such thing as going to New York City too often. (Unless you count "moving to New York City," which, for the purposes of this post, I am not.)


Greece

Oh, Greece. Such allure. I mean, look at it. Breathtaking. And the food. My God, the food. I'd visit Athens, I mean, the Acropolis is right there. Gotta see the Acropolis, but mostly, I want to stay far away from "touristy" Greece and visit "everyday" Greece, the less known the island, the better, I'm guessing.


Sydney

A big city, I know, but a big city on the other side of the world that's always held a lot of allure for me.


Budapest

Why not? I like old cities. So much more interesting than new cities.


Bruges

I never pondered going to Bruges until I saw the film "In Bruges" (which you should see if you haven't because it's awesome), but once I did, I was hooked. Sign me up, please.


Brussels

As long as I'm in Belgium, why wouldn't I visit Brussels and continue with my "Cities That Begin With B" tour? I mean, they dip their fries in mayonnaise! And hello! Waffles! (Incidentally, I happen to love Brussels sprouts, too.)


Istanbul

I may as well visit Istanbul as long as I'm going to Greece, right?


Paris

Yes, I've never been. And I'm told I should go for the pastries, for starters. (I do want to try my hand at macarons, here at home.) I'm sure I could be very happy, whiling away a few days sitting in cafés and bistros eating too much cheese and bread and drinking too much wine and then attempting to walk it all – well, most of it – off.


Prague

I have such a romantic notion of Prague, not romantic in terms of romance but romantic in terms of the charm of the city. In my mind, Prague is perpetually grey and cool and slightly forlorn, but in a gorgeous way.


Vienna

My idea of Vienna is a hybrid of many European cities, a close kin of Paris but with a bit more of a lovelorn soul.


Venice

Because it's Venice. I've always been strangely drawn to images of Venice. I have several hanging in my home. Perhaps I lived there in a past life. Perhaps I was a gondolier.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Dave said...

A great selection. Based on personal experience the only place I would not bother with is Sydney. It's a heck of a long way to go for not much payback IMHO. I even went to the outback from there and was over it in about ten minutes! New Zealand has more to offer if you really want to go that far. Best part of going down under is stopping off in Asia on the way! I have to say that, my wife's Chinese! But it is true.

We will be in Amsterdam, London, Bruges, Geneva, Venice, Verona, Lake Como, Milan, Madrid, Cordoba, Grenada, Seville, Ronda, and a few towns in between this summer. Very much looking forward to it.

I lived in Manhattan for a total of 17 years and I'm sort of done with it. But it is New York as you say!

Hope you get to make your dream trip. Or trips.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

The Sydney notion stems largely from having interviewed a favorite musician who lives north of the city and hoping to meet up with him someday. But New Zealand would be good, too!

Amsterdam is on the list. I've been to London twice but I'd love to go back. Great city. Verona, ooh. Lake Como, too. Ooh, and Milan and Madrid.

So much to see!

What a great itinerary you have!

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home