Monday, May 21, 2012

Fare Thee Well, House ...

"House" is over.

I miss it already.

Last week, after the penultimate episode, after the promo for what was to come this week, I let out an unexpected little sob.

"Really, Beth?", I thought to myself.

But then I understood: I wasn't sad for the loss of my favorite TV show.

I was sad for the loss of my favorite TV show because it reminded me of the loss of my friend Dave.

L.A. Dave is the one who turned me on to "House," many years ago. I didn't watch it from the very start. I don't know why.

But Dave knew that I would love it. He was always recommending movies I should see. My Netflix queue grew to unwieldy proportions because of him. Some titles landed in my mailbox. Come on by sometime and I'll hook up the VCR and we can watch "Next of Kin."

Dave would see Hugh Laurie at press events and report back the next day: "Hugh Laurie says 'Hi'!"

Hugh Laurie says "Hi."

I never questioned whether Dave actually told Hugh about me. I don't think Dave possessed the ability to lie.

Hugh, even, is mentioned in the blog post that I wrote the day I found out that Dave died.

So the three of us, we're inextricably linked, in my mind, you see.

And so a farewell to "House" was a bit of a farewell to Dave all over again.

I won't rehash the episode, lest I spoil it for those who haven't seen it. Suffice it to say that the writers did not disappoint.

I will miss my Monday-evening date with my DVR. It was a show like no other.

And one day, perhaps, I'll run into Hugh Laurie on the Santa Monica Pier.

He'll remember Dave, I'm sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home