Monday, February 06, 2012

My 7 Links ...

Mary Tyler Mom tagged me to take part in My 7 Links, which appears to have been making the rounds for some time.

It was sweet of her to tag me, a reminder that this little outpost in cyberspace is actually visited by folks from time to time. I don't contemplate who's reading. I just write.

I've been writing – blathering, I like to call it – for damn near 7 years now. So it took a little doing to think of which posts to include here. My brain isn't as sharp as it used to be. If my brain were a knife, it might not be able to cut Play-Doh.

But I thought for a bit and some posts came to mind. And then I wrote a post that Mary Tyler Mom pimped on her Facebook page and all hell broke loose with my traffic. So, that post warrants a nod here now.

The goal of My 7 Links? "To unite bloggers (from all sectors) in a joint endeavor to share lessons learned and create a bank of long but not forgotten blog posts that deserve to see the light of day again."

So then ... .

Most Beautiful Post: Joyous. This was written about three and a half years ago and a lot has changed since then. Not that my life has become notably less joyous, but rereading this post is a potent reminder that some things that feel very real and forever sometimes go away.

Most Popular Post: Komen, I Give Up. This was written just last week, the night the news broke that Koman was severing its ties with Planned Parenthood. I don't often post links to my posts on Facebook and Twitter, but I posted this link and the hits started coming. And then Mary Tyler Mom posted the link on her Facebook page and 60 of her fans shared it and the next thing I knew, my hits headed into the thousands, which never happens to any of my posts. And I'm OK with that. Like I said, I write for myself mostly. It was fun, though, to watch the stats climb. Thanks, Mary Tyler Mom. And sorry, Mike Rowe; Komen stole your spotlight. But based on comments, Mike's still my post popular post. (Most people arrive at it because they query – no pun intended – "Mike Rowe gay" in a search engine. My post appears on the first page of results. The comment section on that post is quite the "Yes, he is!" / "No, he isn't!" tennis match. For the record, I think he's straight, but I don't frankly care. He's handsome. He's funny. And he has a voice that makes me melt. Gay, schmay. Straight, schmaight. Whatever.)

Most Controversial Post: It Matters Not. This was written the night Gabby Giffords was shot. It is not my most controversial post based on comments, because I did not allow comments on that post. Sometimes, as with my Komen post, I use my blog to make statements. I do not wish to engage with the other side and I do not need, although I appreciate them, congratulations from those who share my views. Some of my friends weighed in with me privately. One disagreed with me. But I stand by every word I wrote that night.

Most Helpful Post: Sump Pumps And Sadness. This was written two months after the death of my dear friend Dave as I tried to understand how my psyche was processing the grief of losing him. Mostly, this post was helpful for me. But it was helpful for others, too. I'm very fond of my sump-pump analogy.

Post Whose Success Surprised Me: Muse Of The Moment. This was written because the idea behind it was too amusing to not pursue. I think of it in terms of "success" insofar as it led to a baking and blogging adventure with Angelo that continues to this day.

Post That Didn't Get The Attention It Deserved: Who I Am And Who I Am Not. This was written, in part, and then tucked away and then finished when the time felt right. It's long, and more confessional than I tend to be. But no one's life is always sunny. And I would be a fraud to only blog the bright spots in my life. I'm so grateful when I read a heartfelt post by someone and think, "Yes! That!" It's such a comfort to know that someone else has felt the same way. So this was my offering in that vein.

Post I'm Most Proud Of: L.A. Dave. This was written a few hours after I learned that my dear friend Dave had passed away. Three years ago, impossibly, just a few days back. I'm proud of this post, though "proud" feels like the wrong word. Dave's family asked if they could use this post as the eulogy at his memorial service. His aunt read it because I knew I couldn't. But I was very honored that they asked and so grateful to be able to share the Dave I knew with a bit of the wider world.

Post I'm Most Proud Of Addendum: I need to shine a little light on My Friend Charles, too. I'm friends with one of his daughters on Facebook, and tonight she mentioned the post about her dad – "which I just love reading and I've read it about a thousand times" – which warmed my heart and in turn reminded me of one of the comments on the post, which took my breath away when it first arrived:

"I was with Charles on that fateful vacation. I still think of him often as well. Thus, the search of his name on Google and finding this blog.

Your writing brought him back."

So stunning, that sentence. "Your writing brought him back." Which is why, I gather, his daughter has read the post "about a thousand times."

I am so grateful to have the ability to write.



And finally, as part of the challenge, I pass the virtual baton to five other bloggers. They may never see this. (They may not read my blog.) Or they may not have the time. That's fine. I consider these tags invitations but also a way to let them know that I enjoy the glimpses they provide into their lives. More please, blogger friends. More.

My 5 Blog Nominations, in alphabetical order, numbers first:

37 days

angelo:HOME

Life As A Plate

The Thrifty Chicks

Random Esquire

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris Mitchell said...

Beth! Wow! I must confess when I first started following you on Twitter, it was merely because I liked your snarky view of life and your love of cooking. And we obviously shared political perspectives. I had no idea you had so many amazing blog posts. I am especially touched by your missive on your search for direction--I am on a similar odyssey.Thanks for that great post and the sincere exchange with "anonymous" in the comments. And your post on Komen is also spot on! Thanks for your great writing on your blog, and your inspiring tweets, too.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

What a nice comment, Chris. Thanks.

Plenty of snark ahead! See you on Twitter!

5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home