Wednesday, February 22, 2012

'Kisses On The Bottom' ...

I may have been born in the wrong decade.

I love standards.

Some are swanky. Some are lush. The low notes on an upright bass. The whisper of brushes on drums. Let me settle in on a well-worn banquette and sip a glass of Scotch.

Which is exactly what I want to do upon hearing "Kisses On The Bottom," Sir Paul McCartney's new collection of standards old and new. (The title is a lyric from "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter," if you didn't know.)

What I wouldn't give for this man to do a tour of small jazz clubs. Well, small jazz clubs that could accommodate an orchestra, too.

Sir Paul wrote two of the tracks. The rest are songs you may or may not know. That depends on the depth of your standards knowledge.

"My Valentine," one of his originals, is one of my favorites. But then, I can't immediately recall a song of his that I haven't loved.

I can't help but smile and sing along with "It's Only A Paper Moon." Charming arrangement.

And I'm entirely smitten with "My One And Only Love."

It's lovely to hear the nuance in his voice and the intimacy of his delivery.

Order vinyl or other incarnations on paulmccartney.com (or find it on iTunes here), dim the lights, pour yourself a glass of something on the rocks, and take it all in.

Save the Beatles for another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home