Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Donna's Good Things, Valentine's Day Edition ...


This is a post about Donna. And love. And wonder.

I love this picture of her. I love that her neurosurgeon made a bandage for her in the shape of a heart. I love that she is reading a book and that the page we can see reads, "WOW!" I love the way she is sitting, knees together, feet apart. I love that she has flowers on her shoes.

I love her.

As readers of this blog will know, I never had the privilege of meeting Donna. Donna's Mama, aka my friend Sheila, and I reconnected just a month before Donna died. Sheila and I were friends in high school but had lost touch. We are closer now than we ever were then.

I love Donna's Mama, too. And Donna's Daddy (aka Jeremy). And Donna's brother, Baby Jay.

I love all things Donna.

And all things Donna includes Donna's Good Things, the charity that Sheila and Jeremy established in Donna's name, to honor Donna's memory, to parent Donna in a new way.

It is the little charity that could, growing from the single act of writing a check to fund dance scholarships for two young girls to its latest event which is on pace to smash through its fundraising goal of $20,000.

This is where you come in.

On this day of love, a group of bloggers are combining our voices to spread the word about a St. Baldrick's event to raise money and awareness for pediatric cancer.

This is the link where you can contribute.

And, between today and February 18th, your donation will be matched by an anonymous donor, up to $2,000. So your $25 today becomes $50. Or $5 becomes $10. Or $250 becomes $500. You get the idea. Matching donations are a very Good Thing!

For the love of Donna and children everywhere, I ask you to contribute what you can. Pediatric cancer research is sorely underfunded. And St. Baldrick's is an amazing organization.

For more information about how you can become a shavee or establish an event if your area, visit StBaldricks.org.

Thank you for your generosity on this day of love. Your kindness warms our hearts.

3 Comments:

Blogger rickthewriter said...

Done and worth it. I have two healthy kids, least I can do is donate.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Oh, Rick, you're awesome.

Thank you.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

It just dawned on me, months later, that her shoes may feature cherries, not flowers.

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home