Tuesday, January 17, 2012

'Lost And Found' ...

Somehow, it's been nearly two years since I wrote this post about Geneen Roth's Women Food and God.

I reread it tonight. A lot of thought went into that post, mostly about me, not as much about the book, but it's odd to summarize books of this ilk. What's important to me isn't necessarily important to you. And I surely do not intend for my posts to serve as replacements. If the book appeals to you, it's worth looking into for yourself.

Last night, I finished reading Roth's Lost and Found, which, for me anyway, struck me as even more important than Women Food and God.

Losing all of her life savings to Bernie Madoff's scam forces her to, once and for all, confront her issues about dealing with money, and she draws the parallels between dealing with money and dealing with food. Or, to begin with, not dealing with money and not dealing with food.

I read the entire book aloud, yes, to myself. I do that sometimes, when I really want to focus on the message. Reading actively that way channels it more effectively into my brain. My mind is less likely to wander as I read.

As with her last book, I don't feel like it's my place to talk about what's most relevant. Though, for me, almost all of it was relevant.

Except the part about losing $1 million to Bernie Madoff. That didn't happen to me. And now, it never will.

But I will share this: "The true disaster is living the life in your mind and missing the one in front of you."

I read that and felt it like someone had punched me in the chest.

What I appreciated about this book was its lack of exercises. This isn't a book that requires putting pen to paper. Not overtly, anyway. But she provides plenty of food for thought.

It's a very worthwhile read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home