Thursday, January 05, 2012

Bald Move: The Philosophy ...

In November I wrote this post:

I am going to have someone shave my head.

I am going to raise $100,000 for St. Baldrick's and when I do, I am going to have someone shave my head at the St. Baldrick's event to benefit Donna's Good Things.

Not "I am going to
try to raise $100,000 ... ," I am going to raise $100,000 for St. Baldrick's to benefit Donna's Good Things.

How, you ask?

With your help. And the help of everyone you tell. And the help of everyone I know in the media who will help me spread the word.

This is Donna. This is Donna's Cancer Story, written by Donna's Mama, my amazing friend Sheila.

She and her husband, Jeremy, are two of the most extraordinary people I have the great privilege to know. Sheila and I went to high school together. We lost touch after graduation, but reconnected on Facebook in September 2009.

I was happy to hear from her. I was not prepared to learn that her daughter was in hospice.

On October 19, 2009, Donna died. She was 4.

I didn't have the chance to meet Donna, but she has changed my life.

As her parents wrote in her obituary, "Donna was singular."

She lived a large life in her short time here.

Her parents continue to parent her by doing good things in her name.

And I'm asking you to help me to help them do even more.

Share this post. Share the link to my St. Baldrick's page. Ask everyone you know to share it and contribute what they can, because $100,000 can accomplish a lot of good things.

My love and gratitude to you.


Here are a few words about my philosophy behind such events:

I'm willing to do the "big" thing or the "hard" thing, but I need others to help me.

I've walked 60 miles in Chicago in August for many years for the 3-Day, because folks came through for me and contributed to my fundraising. One year, we walked from St. Charles to Montrose Harbor.

Here's a Google Maps depiction, to give you a sense:


I walked that. In three days. Me and about 2,000 other people. And we raised a lot of money. Thanks to folks like you.

We'll walk the 60 miles. But we need folks like you to write the checks. We can't do it all on our own.

And the same goes for St. Baldrick's.

I'm willing to submit to a shearing if folks show up in a big way with the fundraising for Donna's Good Things.

These locks will not go cheaply. But they will go.

So long as others are willing to join me by helping me get to my goal.

Your contributions honor Donna's memory.

Kindly give what you can and share this post. The more people I reach, the more likely I'll reach my goal.

As ever, I thank you.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mary Tyler Mom said...

Thank you. I will help in every way I can.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

You already are, my dear. Thank you.

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Dave said...

Beth - Have you thought about putting your story on indiegogo.com? It's a fund raising platform for all sorts of projects. Friends of mine recently raised several thousand dollars just to help promote a CD. I'm sure your far more emotional appeal would get the attention it deserves.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I thought about that when this first started, Dave, but it was recommended to me that I just set up a St. Baldrick's page.

IndieGoGo takes a portion of the proceeds to cover its costs, so it made sense to just create a page at the source for this effort.

But thank you for the suggestion. I'm hip to the site and good things happen there, for sure.

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home