Sunday, November 13, 2011

Richly Blessed ...


I am a fortunate woman, that's who I am.

Winding down another birthday, thinking back over the past few days.

I have many wonderful friends and an equally wonderful family.

I am at that age where birthdays are a pleasant notion, not the excitement-inducing events of my youth.

A long, leisurely lunch on Friday with friends. A long, leisurely dinner with one brother last night. Coffee and a little nosh with my folks this morning, then dinner with them, along with my other brother and his family, tonight.

Food and wine and variations on cake.

My mother arrived this morning with a mixed bouquet of rubber spatulas and roses.

Yes, you read that right.

I don't want for anything, but I had mentioned recently that I need more rubber spatulas – a baker can never have enough – so she bought lovely white roses for me, and tucked rubber spatulas among them. My mom is clever that way.

And there were other gifts from her and my dad and others, none necessary but all very kind.

And the kindest cards. I am awed by the expressions of love.

And a flurry of emails and posts and tweets.

I am richly blessed, indeed.

And most of all for simply being here for another year.

Ever since losing Dave so suddenly, I am acutely, acutely aware of the gift of every birthday.

Please do see them thusly.

Be grateful for every one that comes your way.

Here's to another year of discovery and fun.

My love to all who shared the days.

I thank you.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Dave said...

Belated Happy Birthday.

I'll be 60 next year...never thought I'd be this old...but in many ways I'm younger than I've ever been...thanks mainly to the attitude you describe.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

My mom is fond of saying, "It's not the age, it's the attitude." She'll turn 70 soon, and she's surely the youngest almost-70-year-old I've ever known.

Thank you for the birthday greeting. It was lovely all around.

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday.

--Kathy

3:00 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Thanks, Kathy.

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home