Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Scourge Of Our Airwaves ...

I am seething through my tears.

I am nauseous, sick with rage.

How can such an evil, heartless, soulless, repugnant man have the ear of millions of Americans? How can he spew such disgusting filth so recklessly? How can people be so mindless and believe him?

Tonight, on Facebook, my friend Sandy posted this photograph and this story:


"This 8-year-old, little Helen, survived after Uganda's Lord's Resistance Army shut all her family and friends into their huts and burned them down. She cried in my arms for 45 minutes. Her pain is so great. Now, the USA is finally sending 100 troops to help end the horrors of this brutal war, which has been waged against children like Helen and their families, for over 20 years. It has destroyed so many hearts. Please pray for the people of Uganda, and for the success and safety of the troops. Please pray for peace. And if someone says that Obama is wrong about this, think about this little girl. Her scarred arms and haunted eyes... Keep her in your heart, and pray for peace."

And later, unfathomably – unfathomably – I read this headline: Rush Limbaugh Endorses the Lord's Resistance Army.

Which reminded me that I had read this headline – Limbaugh's Latest Smear: Obama Is "Target[ing] Christians" In Uganda – but hadn't clicked through.

Until tonight.

That this man has achieved such a disgusting measure of wealth and "fame" and has attracted such a vast following of listeners who parrot his bigoted, hate-filled, disgusting but most importantly, in this case, ignorant views in lieu of thinking for themselves makes me weep for this country.

Limbaugh supports the murderers of the Lord's Resistance Army because they battle Muslims. And Limbaugh hates Muslims.

And Obama is sending troops to Uganda in an attempt to quell the horrors committed by the LRA, and Rush hates Obama, ergo "Obama Invades Uganda, Targets Christians."

That is the headline on Rush's website, with the transcript of his show.

After attacking Obama, he said this:

"Is that right? The Lord's Resistance Army is being accused of really bad stuff? Child kidnapping, torture, murder, that kind of stuff? Well, we just found out about this today. We're gonna do, of course, our due diligence research on it. But nevertheless we got a hundred troops being sent over there to fight these guys – and they claim to be Christians."

That's right: Rush went on the air and attacked the President of the United States without having any knowledge of the reality of the situation, without having any knowledge that the Lord's Resistance Army engages in "child kidnapping, torture, murder, that kind of stuff."

"... [T]hat kind of stuff."

Like burning Helen's friends and family alive.

Rush Limbaugh defended the murderers because doing so allowed him to attack the president.

I cannot fully comprehend how any human being can, simultaneously, be so vitriolic and so stupid.

Thankfully, there is Sandy. Recently, in a recommendation, I said of my friend, "Sandy is a quiet force of nature. Her gentle demeanor belies a woman who is fiercely committed to helping those in the greatest need. ... [S]he's built an impressive career in the non-profit sector that has taken her all over the world. She is kind and talented and compassionate. There may be nothing she can't do."

She is one of my heroes.

Tonight, I thanked her for being there for Helen, for showing her compassion in the face of unfathomable suffering.

It is the one thing that calms me, the image of my beautiful friend holding a grieving child, the knowledge that there is still great good and love in the world.

I focus on that image and breathe.

And try to find pity, somewhere, anywhere inside of me, for a man who will never know such grace.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

It's hard to believe that anyone could be as repugnant as Limbaugh, but there he is five days a week. I just told my son this evening that no one is all bad or all good. Your post reminds me that I could be wrong in this regard.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

You'd like to think that he has, somewhere, some trace amount of redeeming quality, right?

And yet, I can't imagine that to be true.

When he got married again recently, I marveled that any woman would willingly spend her life with him. Or maybe she's just waiting on a good divorce settlement.

Rush brings out the cynic in me.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Rush Limbaugh knows that that more outrageous he is, the more people will listen. He is a clown, just like Glenn Beck is a clown. They are performers.

Unfortunately, too many people who listen to them take them at their word.

There's nothing we can do to silence them, though. They have every right to spew their hatred and vitriol over the airwaves. Although last I heard, Beck was no longer on Fox. FWIW.

11:50 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

That level of irresponsibility sickens me, that someone would be so reckless in their pursuit of money.

But yes, Beck is no longer on FOX and is struggling to stay relevant without Rupert's platform. That's a tiny bit of good.

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Dave said...

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". - Voltaire

The hardest thing is the world is to have moral standards. Which Limbaugh clearly does not. The only thing you can do is what you are doing, point out his stupidity in the hope that more people will stop listening to these crazies.

One of Limbaugh's greatest problems is he speaks before he knows the facts. And that goes for the entire Fox crew.

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home