Saturday, October 29, 2011

My Fisher-Price Phone ...


I have only three contacts in my phone: a mouse, a kitty, and a puppy.

I'm being ridiculous, of course. I can call a bunny, too. But my phone, for all its bells and whistles back in its day, is now one generation removed from a tin can and a piece of string.

Today, out and about, I turned it on [I keep it off for two reasons: a) no one ever calls me on my cell phone, and 2) I don't want to get hip cancer from leaving the thing turned on while it's in my pocket] to snap a couple of shots of a pretty tree:


And when I tried to post it online, my battery crapped out. That fast. Yes, how dare I take a picture and expect to post it.

It's beyond time for me to get a new phone. This poor baby just can't take much more. The battery cover pops off. The battery drains faster than Charlie Sheen doing a line of coke. The reception sucks. (Though it may suck on a new phone, too.)

I thought about driving to the phone store, right then. I thought about biting the iPhone bullet once and for all. Data plan be damned. Fine, send me a ridiculous bill every month.

But I didn't.

I've been waffling about a new phone for a couple of years. I don't know what I want. I don't need an iPhone. I don't want that level of connectivity. My palms are practically fused to my laptop as it is. Do I really want more access?!

But in this era of smart phones, "regular" phones truly do have all the heft of something by Fisher-Price. There's no there there. They don't feel like they'll be able to make a call. And also, while I know I can recycle devices, I hate the idea of replacing electronics. This is my fourth phone ever. Which is not such a big deal, considering the first one came in a bag with a battery the size of a box of concession-stand Sour Patch Kids.

Yes, I keep each phone for a long time.

But the time has come for me to heave myself into the next tier of cell-phone technology.

What should I get?

6 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

Wellll...you can now get a Verizon iPhone 4 for about $99...if you have Verizon or are willing to make the switch.

I just got the iPhone in April, and I do love it so. However, if you don't want a smartphone, I think you can still get one. Just go to your local provider's Store and see what they offer. That's all the advice I can give ya.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I am indeed a Verizon customer. Wouldn't mind becoming a Credo customer, but Credo uses Sprint and I've heard worse things about Sprint than about Verizon.

I don't so much mind the cost of the phone, it's the data plan that I don't care to pay for. I really don't use my phone much. I'm still a landline girl. I like it. The sound is reliable. I have friends who only use their cells and/or have VoIP situations and calls are spotty or break up or drift out. Irksome.

I've been to the phone store and the sales people are visibly annoyed that I want to look at the "regular" phones, which are segregated from the smart phones. But when I look at them, truly, it's like they came out of a Cracker Jack box. I think most manufacturers aren't putting much effort behind them anymore, because everyone's smart-phoning now.

But thank you. Maybe I'll move backward with technology and shun cell service. :o )

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Dave said...

iPhone 4S on Verizon. Buy the minimum data plan (they have several) or you can even pay as you go. But that gets up to the cost of the first data plan faster than you'd imagine, once you realize what you can do.

Just avoid AT&T at all cost. Terrible network, poor customer service and bad management.

There is no such thing as a great telecom company but at least Verizon truly has the best network that at least works in more places.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Yup, that may be the way I go. I'm several years behind the smart-phone revolution. It may be time to join up.

If I can get my hands on a 4S.

One of these days, I may get a digital TV, too. :o )

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Dave said...

Buy your 4S at the Apple Store...not through Verizon. It's just nice to deal with smarter people who actually understand the product. The network is just the network. It's like asking a plumber about the quality of the water.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Natalie Mikolajczak said...

iPHone

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home