Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Indeed ...

‎"Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of other’s opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

"The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it ... ."


— Steve Jobs, 1955-2011


My first Apple experience was programming BASIC on an Apple IIe in Mr. Silagyi's* class in 1985.

I have been loyal to Apple since that day.


* Mr. Silagyi died in 2004. Like Steve Jobs, he was 56.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave D said...

Beth - thanks for posting this.

Being in the IT industry, I have regular conversations with people about Apple and often find myself having difficult and frustrating conversations swinging back and forth from one fan side to the other.

But there is no question about the impact that Steve Jobs had on Apple, and on all of us. He wasn't a saint, and certainly wasn't the best person to work for or receive credit from, but as an industry and as a creative force - Apple and Steve's vision were unparalleled and for that, I will be forever grateful. Hundreds of thousands of people will forever be in his debt as his vision almost single-handedly revolutionized an industry that desperately needed it after the tumultuous beginnings of the new millennium.

My first real experience with Apple was in the high school lab at Thornridge, where we programmed PASCAL, Fortran and BASIC with Mr. Silagyi, too. I can still see him in my mind today and wonder how we got so lucky to have such a dedicated, passionate and creative teacher. I can only hope that kids today get someone even close to that level of dedication.

I will always have respect for Steve Jobs, and I'm saddened that the world will no longer be able to count him among the forward thinkers as we embark on some of the most challenging social, political and technological problems of our age.

-Dave

11:23 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Lovely thoughts, Dave.

Jobs did indeed have a bit of a reputation for being difficult, but look at what his insistence yielded. The man revolutionized the way we communicate and connect.

Mr. Silagyi was indeed a great teacher. I was fortunate to have many such teachers at TR. Some duds, too, but that's true of any wide sample, I suppose.

My friends and family know that I am a dyed-in-the-wool Apple fan. And I've converted several of them over the years. And now they're hooked, too.

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home