Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Indeed ...

"This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.

I am a member of a community and as a member it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can before I die. Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch that I want to make burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations."


— George Bernard Shaw, 1856-1950

With thanks to my friend Sheila for sharing.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have this quote on my bulletin board at work and read it often on my most frustrating days. It continues: "I am a member of a community and as a member it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can before I die. Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch that I want to make burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations."

6:44 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Ooh, I love the rest of it, too!

Will amend the post accordingly.

Thank you!

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home