Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sparkle ...

So much for plans. Again.

Yesterday, I was sure that today would consist of baking and reading. I had a recipe bookmarked that I'd been wanting to try, and yesterday, I walked to the store to pick up what I'd need.

And it was supposed to rain. So what better way to spend a rainy day than baking and reading?

The morning arrived, cloudy and grey. The rain arrived. And then ended after 30 seconds. Maybe a minute. But probably not.

Huh. Really? That was it? I checked the radar. There was nothing to be seen.

Well, fine. Baking would happen anyway.

And it did. And it was tasty. Though I want to tweak the recipe and try again.

Dishes were done. The day stretched out before me.

I checked the options on HBO. Free weekend, schmee weekend, there was nothing I wanted to see.

I tried reading, but my head wasn't in it. I got about 20 pages in, noted three questionable moments of copy editing, and set it down.

I sat at the counter, wondering what to do. Nothing leapt out at me.

I decided to get dressed.

And then I decided to leave the house.

I thought about going for a walk, but the car won out. I'd decided to go to an antique mall and if I scored big, I'd need wheels to haul home my quarry.

I stepped into the mall and smiled at the Halloween theme. An A for effort in the merchandising in the joint. I spied a faceted, round glass dish. "Coaster," the price sticker read. For a really big glass of Scotch?

No, a candle, I suppose.

Whatever. I liked it. It reminded me of a diamond choker necklace.


I nabbed it and continued on.

In the back of a display, I spied a silver, oval tray.

Nope, dish. Deeper than I need. Not that I need any of my silver, oval trays. I just love them. (Hey, a girl's gotta have a vice.) So back it went.

I continued on.

I spied a rectangular, stainless tray. It was topped with a pretty bit of fabric and assorted baubles.

I have a knack for spotting the NFS (not for sale) items in an antique store. I picked it up and peered underneath. A price tag. But more than I wanted to pay.

I set it down.

Wander ... .

Wander ... .

Liberace-esque sequin jacket anyone? I snapped a picture with my cell phone and posted it online.

Wander ... .

Wander ... .

Oh, what the hell.

I went back and slid the fabric and baubles onto the shelf.

I admired the tray's rounded corners and rectangular shape.

And then I wondered if it was used for surgical instruments.

No matter. It would have a new home now.

I headed upstairs. Bupkis.

I headed back down, to the remaining booths.

I spied a fluted, footed dish. Ideal, I thought, for a hot fudge sundae. Not that I eat hot fudge sundaes at home. But I am a sucker for all things footed and fluted.

I added it to my stash.

And then I spied two more across the room.

And then I didn't want it anymore. I prefer things that don't feel mass produced.

But oh, there was small glass tray!

The size that might hold some kind of cookies someday. For a photo shoot. For someone.

And so those three things came home with me.

A little bit of sparkle on an otherwise grey day.

Though the sun shone long enough to make them shine.

2 Comments:

Blogger angelo said...

GREAT Finds!

5:47 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Sanks! So typical: When I need something, I can never find it. When I don't need something, per se – BAM! – three cool things!

Now I'm prepared.

For ... something.

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home