Monday, August 22, 2011

I'm Weird: Musical Edition ...

Tonight, a Facebook pal is asking folks to name their favorite songs.

Huh. I don't think I have one. I love too many songs to pick just one.

The first song that sprang into my mind when I read her request was k.d. lang's "Save Me."

I don't know why. I rarely listen to that CD, much as I love it.

I do love her cover of The Hollies' "The Air That I Breathe." I'd like to record that someday.

But favorite song? I couldn't pick my favorite Springsteen song, let along my favorite song of all the songs I've heard so far in this life.

I suppose I could go with the song that's garnered the most listens on my iTunes, but that wouldn't necessarily be my favorite song. Sometimes, I put a song on repeat and listen to it over and over again. It may be my favorite song right that minute, but it's probably not my favorite song of ever.

I own a lot of Springsteen. I own a lot of The Police and Sting. I own a lot of Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder. I own a lot of Clapton/Cream/Derek and the Dominos. Hell, I own a lot of James Taylor. U2. A fistful of Coldplay. The entire Beatles catalog, remastered. Soundtracks and scores. I'm a sucker for soundtracks and scores.

But one song. Hmm. One song, one song ... .

Nope. Nothing springs to mind as the song I would want to listen to for the rest of my life.

Patty Griffin's "Rain" would be nice.

Or Shawn Colvin's "I Don't Know Why."

I love Miles Davis's "Blue in Green," but that's not a song.

I love "Now We Are Free" from "Gladiator."

I love Ennio Morricone's "Gabriel's Oboe" from "The Mission." If I ever get married, that's the music to which I'll walk down the aisle.

Favorite song, though? I have no idea.

Do you have a favorite song? What is it? What makes it your favorite?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Dave said...

My favorite song and my "most influential" song are by the same artist.

Hearing The Times They Are A-changin' by Bob Dylan certainly started my times a-changin that's for sure. I'd never heard anything like it!

Then several years later he did the same again, creating my favorite song of all time Like A Rolling Stone.

I can listen to it today and be as amazed and inspired as I was when I first heard it in 1965. A true masterpiece.

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home