Friday, June 03, 2011

Post-It Question ...

Today is Day 4. Today's prompt is from Jenny Blake.

"That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him. Where is the master who could have taught Shakespeare? Where is the master who could have instructed Franklin, or Washington, or Bacon, or Newton? . . . Shakespeare will never be made by the study of Shakespeare. Do that which is assigned you, and you cannot hope too much or dare too much."
— Ralph Waldo Emerson

Identify one of your biggest challenges at the moment (ie I don’t feel passionate about my work) and turn it into a question (ie How can I do work I’m passionate about?) Write it on a post-it and put it up on your bathroom mirror or the back of your front door. After 48-hours, journal what answers came up for you and be sure to evaluate them.

Bonus: tweet or blog a photo of your post-it.

So, I won't be writing on this topic for two days, but for those who are wondering, yes, it's bugging Editor Beth that Post-it is either being used generically or is not being capitalized properly. It is also bugging Editor Beth that "ie" is being used (without periods) where e.g. was intended. And that "48-hours" has a hyphen.

Gee, I think I know what I'll be writing on my Post-it Note.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to mention there's no punctuation at the end of the first sentence (following the close of the second set of parentheses).

A friend of mine was looking into this month-long riff on Emerson's "Self-Reliance." But once he checked out the credentials of the people who would be providing the prompts, he took a pass; he decided he knew more about writing than any of them did.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

A friend of mine is one of the "prompters" this time around, and I've no doubt that hers will be great. (She's great. Her writing's great.)

But as I'm now days behind on the whole shebang anyway, I think I shall just write the posts that interest me.

6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home