Wednesday, March 23, 2011

One Year Ago Tonight ...


John has been gone for a year. Though I don't know where a year has gone.

John loved daffodils, the sunny messengers of spring. He did not see them arrive last year, but his daughter Miye snipped the first blooms and shared this photo on a site created to share information and memories.

My search for the daffodils led me to a story I wrote for the Chicago Tribune for which I interviewed John. Reading it again brought back fond memories of our conversation. We spoke for 90 minutes, though we were done discussing the story after 45. He had so many fascinating stories to share, and I was fortunate to hear and read many of them in the ensuing years.

I miss my friend, but he lives on in the hearts his family, and I am blessed to know them, his legacy.

I will watch for the arrival of daffodils. Spring awaits.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Alison said...

I know you miss your friend, but this is a lovely tribute. And your article from 2002 was great. :)

11:32 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Thanks, friend.

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home