Thursday, March 03, 2011

The Extraordinary Value Of Teachers ...

With all the goings on in Wisconsin, I'm thinking, a lot, about the teachers in my life. So much so that I sat down to write a post about them today before realizing that I've written about them before. (I've been blathering on in this space for nearly six years. I've covered a lot of ground.)

This post includes many anecdotes about teachers past.

And this post gives other teachers their due.

I was fortunate to have some truly extraordinary teachers in my life.

So, to this bald-headed putz who says teachers have a part-time job, because his mom was a teacher and he used to go shopping with her at Loehmann's at 3 p.m., I applaud Jon Stewart's retort: "My mom was a teacher and she worked her ass off for not a lot of money. Hey, maybe your mom was a shitty teacher."

The ones I know are dedicated far above and beyond their job descriptions. They continue to educate our kids even as they have to buy their own supplies for their classrooms and teach from out-of-date books.

Teachers, we are indebted to you. Most of you are vastly under-compensated. And lately, from at least one segment of society, under-appreciated.

My appreciation is not enough but it is deeply heartfelt: Thank you, teachers, for all you do.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tom Erdman said...

I stopped off at the Relay for Life fundraiser yesterday to drop off a piece of furniture for a raffle. There, I saw the husband of the best teacher I ever had. We spoke for a while, and I told him to tell her how much she meant to me. I've told her before, but I wanted her to hear it again.

I wrote a whole bunch more, but erased it for another time. We'll just leave this one like this.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Yup, I still make it a point to tell English Teacher Dave what an influence he was on me. He never seems to mind hearing it, so good for you for telling your teacher's spouse so he could relay the message.

As for writing a whole bunch more, you're always welcome to e-mail or call if this doesn't feel like the right forum for your thoughts.

2:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home