Saturday, March 19, 2011

As I Was Saying ...

Yesterday, I wrote about a piece I once found in an antique store that was covered with cobwebs and grime. This is that piece, sans grime:


Framed charcoal drawing, 36" x 16" - $70 (at the time)

(If anyone's noticing a bit of color in the framed image, that's just the reflection of some flowers on my dresser. The piece itself is monochromatic.)

Even adjusting for inflation, the price wouldn't begin to approach the craziness of the previously posted goat lamp, or vintage pillow, for that matter. And I would have paid more for this piece, because I really love it.

You know what else I really love? Buying something because I love it only to discover it's worth more than I paid for it. Like this etching, which was found in another antique store, in a really cheap frame. (I have since reframed it. This frame was not really cheap.)


I thought I might have something of some worth when I found another print of this in the collection of the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C. But the dealer at the antique store had priced this one at $27, so that's what I paid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home