Thursday, February 03, 2011

Two Years Ago Today ...

We would have talked about the snow.

He would have called, out of concern and fascination. He would have been watching the news.

"Hi, Beth! It's Dave," he would have said in his familiar cadence, having seen on my blog that I was OK. Otherwise, his voice would have been more grave. He worried for others more than we worry for ourselves.

But it's been two years, impossibly.

The impulses to call him have waned, but still present. Especially when I'm not sure what to have for dinner. We liked to talk about food.

He prescribed a lot of milkshakes, chocolate, of course, the best he could do to offer comfort from so many miles away.

But it was the listening that he did so well. He was an exquisite listener.

He still is, I suppose. Though it doesn't occur to me to talk to him directly.

But I'm thinking about him just now, thinking that today, he would have prescribed hot chocolate, with marshmallows and whipped cream, well earned from shoveling all the snow.

And perhaps he would have headed out into the Southern Californian sun to get a hot chocolate, too. A show of solidarity. Or perhaps his much-loved milkshake. Or orange juice, freshly squeezed.

I miss him instead.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Alison said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I know you miss him.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Thanks, friend.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Tom Erdman said...

I can't say it better than Alison.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Thanks to you, too, friend.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny. I was thinking about Dave just a couple of days again.

I just checked in to make sure you were doing OK in the snow.

Did Dave ever tell you about the hot chocolate machine in the dining commons at Centre? It was very popular with him, Martha, and me. Martha and I used to plan how we would one day live next door to each other and put up a shed on the property line with a hot chocolate machine in it.

This afternoon, I'll have a hot chocolate with marshmellows to "share" long distance.

--Kathy

2:15 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I don't remember him mentioning the hot chocolate machine. But how sweet. I love the plan for the shed!

I'll make some this afternoon, too. Cheers.

And I'm fine, thanks. There's a whole lot of snow out there, but all's well. You're sweet to check in.

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We all miss him so much. And it's Oscar time. He should be here.

Hope you are well.

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home