Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Snow ...

Yesterday, just as the snow was beginning, I snapped a shot of the base of the birdbath in my backyard. The base is a couple of feet tall, if memory serves, give or take. It's not giant, it's not wee.

So, this was the situation about 1:30 p.m., February 1:


And this was taken about 6:45 a.m., February 2:


Pfft!, you say. That's nothing, right? That's not a blizzard.

Ah, but as we all know, blizzards are also about the blowing. And blowing leads to drifting. And drifting leads to this:


And this is what happens when you shoot in early-morning light as snow is swirling about and you forget to turn off the flash:


I dig it.

The storm is due to continue in full force through about 4 p.m. today, then begin to taper off.

Tomorrow's images may be very, very different.

Update: 11 a.m., February 2. We had a bit of a not-so-snowy lull. The storm's caught its breath again:


Update: 2:15 p.m., February 2. The snow itself has ebbed. The winds are back. The latest:


And the drift on my deck is about 4 1/2 feet high:


It's hard to believe I'll ever have to cut the grass again.

I do, however, dig the Gehry-esque snowdrifts forming on my roof. Or are they Seussical?


About 6 p.m. or so, post shoveling. Yes, shoveling. Me and three enterprising dudes. The best $60 I've ever spent. This is the end of my driveway (I have a pretty long driveway):


For scale, this is my shovel against the pile closest to the street:


It's nearly 6 feet high. And it is not the highest pile on my property.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tom Erdman said...

I remember the first time I went to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. We drove into town and saw houses with doors coming off the second story and no porch! I think we'll be OK with what we have.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Yup, this could surely be worse. Then again, maybe I should reserve final judgment until it stops snowing. And I have to clear surfaces!

But this shot from the Tribune blows my mind: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-snow2lsd20110202071217,0,2905048.photo

11:26 AM  
Blogger Tom Erdman said...

Looks like its' from a sci-fi movie, one of those end-of-the-world things.

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home