Monday, February 14, 2011

A Good Day ...

A dozen roses did not arrive at my door.

The mailman did not bring a valentine.

A significant other will not be joining me for dinner.

This has been a really good day.

Not because I was able to steep myself in my hatred of Valentine's Day. I don't hate Valentine's Day. And I don't understand those who do. Why spend the day wallowing in misery? If you radiate that kind of energy, you know what you're going to get? More of the same.

I suppose if you're someone who's been in a relationship (or relationships) and spending Valentine's Day with someone is your norm then spending Valentine's Day alone may feel more stark.

But alone is my Valentine's status quo.

And as such, as I was saying, this has been a really good day.

I did chores.

I ran errands.

I saw my mom for a few minutes. (She stopped by with some dark-chocolate Frangos. And some instant lottery tickets. I got bupkis. She won.)

I puttered around the kitchen. (I can't remember the last time I diced something.)

I made myself a martini.

I put Keith Jarrett on to play.

I made the rounds, closing curtains, bringing up lights, my evening routine.

I put on comfy clothes.

And I settled into this chair, with my laptop on my lap, and I couldn't be more content.

I, right this moment, have an awesome life.

I feel no sense of lack.

I have family and friends who love me.

I have my health.

I have a warm home.

I have food to eat.

I have more luxury around me than many, many, many other people on this planet.

How unfortunate it would be to choose to focus on absent trappings.

I like flowers, don't get me wrong. (Irises top the list, for reference's sake.)

And cards are nice. I received one of those. On Saturday. From a friend.

Chocolates? Mom covered that base.

So, a relationship? Maybe one will come along. Maybe one won't. One that lasts, that is. Several have come and gone.

Who knows what the future holds?

Today what I know is that this was a good day.

And may tomorrow be the same.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Alison said...

Beth. :)

Did you see today's Oatmeal comic? It was pretty funny, with a nice little editorial comment at the end. http://theoatmeal.com/blog/valentines_day

I'm glad you had a good day. I didn't get flowers or chocolate either, but it was a good day.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Oh, I hadn't! Thanks!

"Less complaining. More sexy rumpus!"

Glad you had a good day, too. How went the pommes Anna experiment?

12:37 AM  
Blogger Tom Erdman said...

I've always been bothered by theme holidays that make us feel guilty, lonely or worse. Better to take the Valentine's Day spirit and make it part of each day. Flowers and chocolate should be part of every day. So, today, February 15, happy Valentine's Day!

2:04 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Precisely, Tom! And today, the price of flowers won't be jacked through the roof! :o )

7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home