Sunday, February 27, 2011

Corner Table ...

When I made the reservation, I kindly requested a table somewhat tucked away.

It was a business dinner, I explained, so we needed to be seated at a table where it would be easy to converse.

I had hoped to be the first to arrive, to greet everyone, to make introductions.

But one of them was waiting. I saw him, inside, as I turned away from the valet.

"You look like a man named Tom!", I said, walking through the door.

"Beth?" he confirmed. (Though, really, he should have known by the hair.)

He hugged me, which I expected. We'd never met before, but we already knew each other well.

I handed my things to the woman at the coat check. Sheila and Jeremy arrived. I made a round of introductions and informed the hostess we were there.

The table was perfect, a corner banquette with two chairs. Cozy.

Sheila and I sat together, she across from Jeremy, me across from Tom.

What extraordinary people, those three.

The reason for our meeting I'll disclose at another time, but it was good. Beyond good. It was restorative of my faith in humanity. Which may seem like hyperbole, but it is not.

There are so many good people in the world. And they have great value individually. But when that goodness coalesces, its power is amplified.

And that's what I was privileged to witness Friday night.

People who care for caring's sake. People who care because caring is what they do. Not for financial gain. Not for notoriety. But because they can't not. Because once touched by something, they cannot turn away.

The power of kindness. Good things ahead.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom Erdman said...

You had an unfair advantage with my baldness! But, it was a great evening. And, thank you for setting it up.

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home