Sunday, January 23, 2011

Pie And Other Flavors ...

First, let's get today's business out of the way: Today is National Pie Day. It is also, more specifically, National Rhubarb Pie Day. I don't understand rhubarb. It looks like red celery. I understand that it doesn't taste like celery, but every time I hear of rhubarb pie, I can't help but think of celery pie, and who would want to eat that?

But the day has set me to thinking about my favorite kind of pie. My first thought goes to apple, but then, the more I ruminate on the varieties of pies, I my brain arrives at Key lime and then banana cream and then coconut cream. But what of pumpkin? So many pies.

I don't consume pie often. I want one piece of pumpkin around Thanksgiving. Not necessarily on Thanksgiving. I'm often too full to enjoy dessert, so I hold off for a day or two, for a time when I can really savor it.

Once, out to lunch with my mom, I was faced with the impossible choice of banana cream or coconut cream pie. I asked the waitress if I could have half-slices of each. She obliged. Such happiness, the existence of my co-favorite flavors on one plate.

Recently, on menu, I spied "deconstructed" banana cream pie. Sigh. Chefs, do not try to fancy up pie. Pie is pie. Pie is humble. Pie is homey. Pie is comforting. Pie is not fancy. Even fancy pies – the over-embellished French silks and the Matterhorn-topped lemon meringues – are not fancy. They retain their humble roots.

So, pie. Have some pie. Amid the day's nachos and Cheetos and other quasi-foods that end in "-os," find some time for a tiny bit of refinement and take up a fork and enjoy some pie.

Now then, yesterday. Yesterday was National Blonde Brownie Day, and aside from patting myself on the back for quipping, "Anyone know any good dumb blonde brownie jokes?", I had nothing to do with blonde brownies. Blonde brownies are not brownies. They're blondies. Blonde brownie is an oxymoron. Brownies are brown. Period.

But this part of the story has nothing to do with brownies.

Every so often, my brain lands in a creative, house-y place and I venture forth to look for fabric or lamps or whatever bit of decor is calling to me at the time.

The search for fabric is stretching on for what feels like an eternity. Among hundreds of bolts of upholstery fabric last week, I found one that I liked. And I didn't buy it in the end.

Yesterday's sojourn was equally fruitless. I found a fabric I really liked, but the scale of the print was too large for a throw pillow. I didn't want to center one element of the fabric on each pillow and call it a day. It was too beautiful to not be enjoyed more fully. So I passed. No point in trying to force it.

Interestingly (to me, anyway), the fabric contained a color that I've never considered for use in my home. Just a bit of it, just an accent, but just the same, peacock blue? Really?

Have I met me?

Peacock blue? (For those of you who may be asking, "What the hell is peacock blue?", here's an image. Yes, the best example I can find of the color is a pair of Crocs. So, hey, good on the Croc people.)

Really, this should come as no surprise to myself, as when I was younger, my favorite Crayola colors were Green Blue and Blue Green, which is no wonder, given that I also cannot decide between banana cream pie and coconut cream pie. I didn't want to have to choose between blue and green. I wanted both, please. But Green Blue had the edge when I was younger, being more blue than green. I was very fond of blue when I was younger, but not true blue. Greenish blue. And now, green is my favorite color, hands down. Also, I had blue eyes when I was younger and now they're green. My tastes and my irises have morphed.

At the next store, I spied a peacock-blue accent chair. I didn't buy it, but I'm pleased to have returned to my childhood fondness for the blue-green/green-blue family of hues. Those colors may not become part of my home, but I wouldn't be surprised if they become part of my wardrobe.

That's right, my friends who know me to wear primarily black and grey and drab greens, I may show up one day in a shirt that's peacock blue.

Perhaps we should meet for pie.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Alison said...

What's your stance on cyan?

11:16 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Cyan specifically is a tad too vibrant for me (as part of a CMYK registration), but as the spectrum of it encompasses cerulean and verdigris and turquoise and such, I'm a fan.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Tom Erdman said...

Interestingly enough, I just picked out a pattern with a peacock (bird and color) in it for our furniture line. You might be on to something.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Ooh, will be interested to see that, Tom!

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home