Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Clearing ...

I don't know how it began.

Innocently, I'm sure, as many things do.

I walked into the closet adjacent to my office. To fetch something? To put something away? I can't recollect.

But one thing led to another and hours later, many hours later, I was still at it, sorting, purging, looking up resources for recycling video tape.

My shredder has taken ill, no doubt having taken notice of the massive stacks of bills and canceled checks piled on top of my desk. Why, no, I don't need to keep things from 1998. Though the shredding will have to wait.

In the meantime, though, walking into my closet is heavenly. So much space. So much empty space. Granted, that's due in part to all the stuff that formerly resided in the closet which is now scattered about my home, but I will recycle what I can and pack away what I can for a garage sale someday after the thaw, proceeds to go toward my 3-Day fundraising, so if you stop by, please don't dicker to save a quarter.

And so, I return to it today. It's been a fascinating process. I've discovered things I'd forgotten I owned. There's nothing like decorating your home without spending a dime.

And hello, Rolodex! What a spinny chronicle of a few years of my life.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tom Erdman said...

I'm a "clutter" guy and have been purging for about a year now. I'm getting close to the end, but finding time to do it right is difficult.
You're right about re-finding things from your past. It always takes me back, sometimes good, sometimes not.
And, if I stop by your sale, I promise not to dicker (what a great word).

7:50 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

If you stop by my sale, we'll ditch the crowd and go inside for chocolate chip cookies! Otherwise, we'd have to share!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Tom Erdman said...

Sharing is not my strong suit.

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home