Sunday, December 12, 2010

Love One Another ...


This photograph makes me cry.

Part of the reason that it makes me cry is because I know the story behind it. The woman whose face you can see is my friend and author Patti Digh. The woman whose face you can't see is my friend Sheila, Donna's mama.

They had met in person just a couple of hours before, but had come to know each other online over the past few months. Patti wanted a crayon apron to take on the tour to promote her book about creativity. Sheila had a crayon apron that had been given to her daughter.

Sheila told Patti that she was welcome to it, but that it was embroidered with the name Donna.

Patti replied that Donna is her first name.

And so Sheila sent the apron and Patti has shared Donna's story with every audience on the tour, and on Friday, the apron came home to Chicago. For a few hours, anyway.

But a much larger part of the reason that that photograph makes me cry is because from it emanates so much love. The way it captures the bond those two women share, the expression on Patti's face, the way her hand cradles Sheila's head. That is not a polite embrace. That is love.

And I think to myself what a world it would be if we all cared about each other so deeply. If we all recognized how important it is to connect with one another, to really understand those around us and those we don't even know.

Not every connection is as profound as that of a mother sharing something of her daughter's with another mother, but why are we here if not to be there for one another?

I was honored to witness that moment. And I am grateful that Lynne Gillis was there to capture it.

There is only love and fear.

Be there for one another.

Choose love.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Lynne said...

This is such a beautiful post, Beth. It was indeed, a sacred moment. I, too, felt blessed to be a part of it.

You know, it's funny. There's nothing I love more than having my camera with me and capturing life through that lens... but then there are times, like this one, when I am so conscious about the sacredness of the moment - and I often hesitate to click the shutter, for fear that it will disturb the moment. I'm glad that in this moment, I didn't hesitate.

You are so very right... always, choose love.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I truly understand your hesitation, but I, too, am so glad that you captured the moment. It's one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. And I'm glad to be able to see it again and again.

And so glad to have met you, my friend. Patti promised that we'd love you. She was surely right about that!

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Lynne said...

The feeling is so, so mutual!

I've been reading your blog... going back through your archives - and oh my gosh - if it weren't for the fact that we hold somewhat different political views (although I love the idea that we are both staunch advocates of civilized discussions about politics, rather than raging and blaming and hysteria), I'd swear I was reading about myself!

Seriously - there are posts that you've written that virtually mirror some of my own. And then there are just others when you have put words to thoughts and ideas that I have just never been able to adequately articulate.

I almost cried when I read your post from last December, where you talked about always choosing Christmas cards that carried "Peace" as their message. I DO THE EXACT SAME THING!

And the post "Who I am and Who I am not" - totally blew me away. I actually printed that one out, and will put it in a notebook that I have that serves as kind of a hybrid journal/place where I keep stuff that's meaningful to me.

You are wickedly talented, girl, and my gut tells me that you are right on the edge of something really wonderful.

Here's to 2011 - to new friendships, to new opportunities, to creativity, and to choosing love.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Here's to 2011, indeed!

So looking forward to getting to know more about you


Big hugs.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Tom Erdman said...

To understand is one thing. To really feel; that is a gift. Beth, you have that. I'm humbled you've allowed me to reflect on my own life through your writings.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

You're so kind, Tom. Thank you.

I do really feel, that's for sure. I cry more than Boehner. :o )

7:42 AM  
Blogger Tom Erdman said...

Nobody cries more than Boehner.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

LOL!

He and I can have a cry-off.

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home