Friday, November 12, 2010

Words By Which To Live (aka A Variation On The Well-Known Phrase Which, Unfortunately, Ends With A Preposition) ...

Yesterday, I went to see Jon-David, my hair architect.

It had been too long since I'd seen him last and there was no way I was going to embark on the next year of my life with that much grey showing. Nuh uh.

So I went.

Given that it'd been quite a while since he'd last cut my hair, it had gotten rather long. Longer than my usual long, and so I told him to lop off three or four inches, not just give it its usual trim.

He may have cut off more, but I really love this length. It's perfect, really. (The whole cut-and-color combo is fabulous. Truly, the man's a genius.)

Once he had cut the length and the corresponding layers, he looked at me in the mirror and asked if he should cut channels into my hair, explaining the process, explaining that the overall look would be the same but that there would be more movement in my hair. He was making a very good case and I trust him implicitly, so I was just about to give him the go-ahead when he shrugged in his cute little way and said, "Let's just do it."

Which made us laugh. Really, there was no consultation going on. He was going to do what he wanted to do, and he knew that it would have been fine with me. I've been going to him for nearly 20 years. I've never left his chair disappointed.

But it's nice that he puts forth the illusion of letting his clients have input.

I told him that I was going to make his phrase my new mantra: "Let's just do it."

I love it. No wavering. No waffling. No what-ifs. No "Maybe later" or "I have to think about it."

Let's just do it.

See what happens.

After all, we can always then do something else.

As my friend Rick says, start where you are.

Update, per Tom:

This photo doesn't do J-D's work justice, but it'll have to suffice. And Tom, I have no "Before" photo. Quite on purpose. But as you can see, Einstein approves.


4 Comments:

Blogger Tom Erdman said...

You obviously cannot do this blog without a before and after, or at least an after. You can photoshop the gray. I, on the other hand, don't have that option.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Tom Erdman said...

He is smiling in a Mona Lisa sort of way. It looks very nice. One day, we'll get to see what the other eye looks like.

11:07 AM  
Blogger J. Marquis said...

You do have great hair. I can see why you need an architect!

11:58 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Well, you can just look at my profile picture for that, Tom. I promise I have two, and they're a pretty well-matched set.

And Jim, I have great hair because I have a hair architect. No chicken-and-egg conundrum there. He gets all the credit.

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home