Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Sugar Cookies ...


Such a basic. Such an obvious choice for a go-to cookie. And yet, I hadn't baked sugar cookies in years.

When I want a basic cookie, I go for shortbread. Three ingredients. You can't get more basic than that and still call it a cookie.

But I wasn't in the mood to make any of the usual suspects, so I pulled a couple of cookie books from the cookbook library (which is rather ridiculously extensive, but I like to have them around) and set about finding a proper candidate.

And, inspired by Twitterpal Angelo, who loves him some sugar cookies, I cast my vote.

The dough is simple enough, if gritty from all the sugar. I baked off two sheets and have the other two dozen happy little balls of dough on a cookie sheet in the freezer. Once frozen, I'll pop 'em into a Ziploc bag to have cookies to bake at will.

The recipe stated that I was not to let the edges brown. So I didn't. The cookies look rather golden-hued in the photo, but that's mostly a function of the lighting, not the egg yolks. Trust me, on the cooling rack, these are pale. I could easily name them Pasty White Pudgy Middle-Aged Guys.

But they probably wouldn't sell well. Then again, I'm not selling them.

Melt-In-Your-Mouth Sugar Cookies
(From Better Homes and Gardens The Ultimate Cookie Book, Published Meredith Corporation, 2007)

1/2 C. butter, softened
1/2 C. shortening
2 C. sugar
1 t. baking soda
1 t. cream of tartar
1/8 t. salt
3 egg yolks
1/2 t. vanilla
1 3/4 C. all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 300. In a large mixing bowl beat butter and shortening on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until the edges are set. (Do not let edges brown.) Let stand 1 minute on cookie sheet. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. Yield: about 48 cookies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home