Friday, November 26, 2010

Bread Was Made ...

So, I baked bread.

Four loaves yesterday morning, figuring on two for dinner and one each for my brother's family and my sister-in-law's sister's family. They're not local, so I make it a point to bake extra for them. Everyone else lives nearby. I can bake for them on other days.

And then, last night, upon returning home, I was feeling restless. I didn't want to watch a movie. I didn't want to read a book. I didn't want to sit still. I felt the need to do something. So ... I made more bread.

Embarking upon baking bread at 8 p.m. isn't entirely a bad idea. It's a simple recipe. It goes together quickly. I use quick-rise yeast, so the dough only needs about an hour to rise to the right size. Really, given the shape of the loaves, it doesn't rise so much as spread. Which is kind of poetic, given that that's exactly what it does to my hips, too.

And then it bakes for about 40 minutes, a 10-minute blast at 450 to set the crust, then 25-30 minutes at 350 until it's done.

The only issue, then, was what to do with it when it's done. I couldn't put it away while it was still warm. But I didn't want to leave it out on the cooling rack all night.

So once it was out of the oven, I put it on its cooling rack with two Ziploc bags nearby, and then curled up on the couch under my favorite afghan, knowing full well that I'd fall asleep and wake up an hour or two later, at which point, the bread would be cool, I could slip each loaf into a Ziploc bag, and then go to bed, leaving the slicing of the bread until morning.

Which is exactly what I did.

And the reward for my restless efforts last night was lovely toast this morning. This bread is fine bread as bread, but it is even better as toast. With butter on one slice. And butter and a bit of apricot jam on the other. I think of the buttered slice as my entrée and the jammed slice as dessert. Yes, I'm weird. I know.

Mom came by for toast and coffee. And she brought with her the 25-pound bag of flour she bought the other day for us to share.

Last year, I bought a three-pack of round, translucent, 4-quart food-service storage containers with lids. I was in need of a wine bucket, and one of the containers is the perfect size. But I couldn't just buy one. So I bought the three-pack, used one as a wine bucket, and then wondered what I'd ever do with them otherwise.

Last night, I washed them. This morning, I filled them with flour. I now have 10 pounds of flour on hand. And mom took two containers home to complement what she already has on hand.

Ten pounds of flour won't last long at this time of year. But for the moment, I'm prepared to make more bread. I have plenty of yeast, butter, sugar, salt, water, and milk. The one thing I lack is the Pam for the baking sheet. Who runs out of Pam?

I do, that's who. So if I venture into any retail situation today, it will be the grocery store to buy a can of Pam. When it comes to the mall and Black Friday, I give that madness a wide berth.

2 Comments:

Blogger Doreen said...

I remain in a state of shock that you have not used your bread to make french toast ... I have and it is scrumdillyicious!

7:29 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

:o )

I have not initiated French toast with the bread, but back in the days of G, he made it thusly and it was indeed fab!

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home