Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Wherefore Art Thou, Pound Cake? ...

I want pound cake.

Earlier today, Twitterpal Angelo posted a link to a New York Times story about rose water, and the accompanying art for the story featured a loaf of pound cake, rose water-scented pound cake.

And since that moment, "pound cake" has been whispering to me. My brain keeps returning to the notion: "Pound cake would be really good right now. With a glass of milk. Regular pound cake. Just baked in loaf pan. Or maybe in a tube pan. With the layer of ground walnuts on the top. It's not really pound cake, though, because you don't use a pound of butter. You only use half a pound of butter. Can you imagine if you used a whole pound of butter? That wouldn't even be good. But a half pound is good. I love the texture of pound cake. It's dense but not. Even though I like it when it's too dense. It's more moist. But that's because it's underbaked, probably."

See? My brain can riff endlessly when it comes to pound cake.

"Pound cake is my Kryptonite," I tweeted. Pound cake.

I thought I might have to make one, just to make my brain shut up. (The carbs would probably send me right to sleep. But then I'm quite sure I'd have dreamt about pound cake.)

But all the recipes call for cake flour. And I don't have cake flour. And I didn't want to go to the store. And I didn't want to try a substitution.

And then I thought I could just go to the store and buy pound cake, because all bakery departments sell pound cake, or hell, I'd buy a frozen one from Sara Lee. But I was on the phone with a friend when I had that brainstorm, sitting in the dark, not able to see a clock, and she mentioned it was 10:30 p.m. And by the time we hung up, there was no way I was going to get dressed and looking even remotely presentable enough to enter a store. With, you know, lights on. And other people. With, you know, eyes. Who could conceivably see me.

So I am pound cake-less, sadly. But still wanting carbs. So I went poking through my photos, looking at shots of cookies past, and ran across this image from a photo shoot however many years ago that accompanied a story I did about creating multiple kinds of cookies out of a few basic doughs. I've posted the picture before, but I'm posting it again, because it pleases me.


And I am also posting this image, because it has absolutely nothing to do with pound cake but I like it. The typewriter was my dad's dad's. The fan was my dad's mom's. And the little trunk was bought it in an antique store many years ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home