Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Pet Lover: Oblivion ...

I'm biased, of course.

My pal Brian is part of Pet Lover. And I adore Brian and I adore the band.

And while I'm happy to fawn over my friends, Pet Lover deserves every good thing written about it. And it deserves to be written about a lot more.

Local indie bands are a dime a dozen. Really good local indie bands are rare currency. Pet Lover is, of course, the latter.

"Oblivion," the band's latest effort, was a long time coming, but entirely worth the wait.

I've written before about my distaste for the homogeneity that's become the bland hallmark of the music industry, overproduction to the point of obscurity, guitar riffs by focus group. No thank you.

Pet Lover is a different animal, and "Oblivion" is a particular pleasure for the variety it offers in this musical world of more of the same. As is known to regular readers of this blog, I fully cop to being a sappy girl, and for that reason, "Deep Blue Mind" stands out as my favorite song. Mind you, it is not a sappy song in the fine tradition of sappy songs. The boys have not gotten in touch with their inner Manilows. (I would wager that none of them have ever spent a weekend in New England.) But I was captivated by the unexpected piano moment on the bridge. It transforms a classic Pet Lover tune into something even more for me.

Though the next track, "Cowboys and Idiots," quickly dispenses with any sentimentality with its in-your-face open. (Is it inspired by "Bonanza"?) And just in case you were settling into the band's sound, "Detroit" provides an unexpected jolt.

"Junkpile," the second cut on the album, was featured this weekend on WXRT's Local Anesthetic, the last bastion of real music in Chicago, an endorsement of the band's worthiness.

Intrigued? You should be. And I haven't even mentioned the harmonies. Oh, wait. I just did.

You can sample "Oblivion" on petlovermusic.com and then download the disc for a mere $7.

If you'd rather have hard copies of "Oblivion" or the band's earlier releases, "New Game" and "Spitsbergen," you can order those here.

You can also catch them live. The band's part of a triple bill next Thursday night, September 16, at Subterranean, 2011 W. North Avenue. Doors open at 8 p.m. Tickets for the 21-and-over show are a recession-friendly eight bucks each.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For an attempt at being the real remaining bastion for real music in Chicago, check out: www.chirpradio.org. :)

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home