Sunday, June 13, 2010

Donna's Good Things ...

Donna danced.

Donna did many things, I'm sure. I didn't have the honor of knowing her while she was here. But I know she danced.

And wherever she is now, I've no doubt that she dances on.

But today, I spent the day at a school that was hosting recitals for the studio where Donna took her classes. I was there to help my friends Sheila and Jeremy collect contributions from attendees, contributions that will fund dance scholarships for children who want to dance but whose parents may not have the means to fulfill those dreams.

Sheila and Jeremy, two of the most amazing people I have ever had the privilege to know, established Donna's Good Things last year, after Donna died. (I wrote about Donna in this post.)

Donna's Good Things exists to not only fund the dance scholarships but also to provide DVD players for children undergoing treatment as well as other good things that have yet to be imagined.

So today, at the school, Sheila and Jeremy took the stage to tell the audiences about Donna's Good Things, and to ask them to contribute a dollar or five dollars or ten dollars or whatever they could afford to help them to continue to do good things in Donna's name.

Tonight, my account of faith in humanity is running a surplus.

Today, in a magical combination of dollars and cents, ranging from a $50 to a penny with a few checks in between, Sheila and Jeremy collected $1,362.53.

And with other monies collected in Donna's memory, this fall, at least 8 students will be able to stand where Donna once stood and learn to dance.

What a good day filled with good deeds in the name of good things.

My love to Sheila and Jeremy. You inspire me.

I am so honored to have spent the day with their family and friends. I did nothing more than smile and say "Thank you" to a near-endless stream of generous souls.

But in exchange, I feel an immense and lasting sense of gratitude. Much goodness shines in the world.

If you'd like to contribute:

Donna's Good Things
P.O. Box 5706
Evanston, IL 60204

2 Comments:

Blogger Sheila said...

Okay, you said this way better than I could. Mweh. Many grateful and exhausted thanks. Wish I had gotten you a slice of that chocolate cake! Next time. S.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Aw, you're sweet. But you're an exceptional writer. You'd just need a little rest first!

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home