Friday, June 11, 2010

Breathing. It's Just Too Much Trouble. Is There An Overpriced Gadget Manufactured in China That I Can Buy To Do It For Me? ...

Oh, how I wish I had taken note of what I was watching when I saw the commercial for the Handy Caddy.

Luckily, though, I tweeted the moment, lamenting, "Seriously, people, how lazy have we gotten as a society?" and cc:d Twitterpal Angelo, in case he'd like to feature the Handy Caddy in his new segment, "Are You Kidding Me With This?" on The Daily Tip, which returns next week.

Angelo replied, "Yes. Craziness. Silly me for moving my countertop appliances with my hands."

To which I replied, "Right? Every morning, I pull out my coffee pot, set it up, and push it back. I've never thought, 'I need a gadget for this.' "

I love how the woman in the commercial struggles to move her coffee pot. Oh, the humanity! In addition to all the other hardships in the world – war, famine, global warming, poverty, hunger, oil spills – how can we be expected to endure the possibility that we might need to use two hands to move something on the counter?!

Why would we suffer such tribulation when we can spend money on a petroleum-based piece of plastic that's no doubt manufactured in China and shipped all the way to the United States – no worries about carbon emissions, folks! – so that we can plop our coffeemaker on it and save one calorie unit's worth of effort every day?

Just think of how much more we could accomplish if we had that extra bit of energy. Why, we could probably do any of the following – but don't go all crazy with exertion, now, just pick one:

- Sit upright
- Cough
- Inhale and exhale (<— BEST VALUE!)

Seriously, people? Or, as Angelo would say: Are you kidding me with this?!

Can this day be far behind?

I'm being silly, of course.

In our brave new world, Bart won't have to wash himself.

Special Bonus Content!

I don't believe I've ever amended a post with a friend's comment, but Rick's is just too clever, and I don't want folks to miss it if they don't click on the Comment link. So here we go. Well done, Rick!


I watched the Handy Caddy ad and was entertained by how easily this person was able to place her formerly almost-impossible-to-move coffee maker onto the caddy.

She must have been made stronger just knowing the caddy was on her side now.

I noticed that she was using the cordless coffee maker. No troublesome power cords for her!

She will probably demand the Wi-Fi enabled caddy which she can command to extend from her home office where she makes millions teaching people on the internet how to make millions. This will save her two seconds when she comes into the kitchen to make coffee. That translates into several hundred dollars in increased income. Cha-ching!

5 Comments:

Blogger Rick Hamrick said...

I watched the Handy Caddy ad and was entertained by how easily this person was able to place her formerly almost-impossible-to-move coffee maker onto the caddy.

She must have been made stronger just knowing the caddy was on her side now.

I noticed that she was using the cordless coffee maker. No troublesome power cords for her!

She will probably demand the Wi-Fi enabled caddy which she can command to extend from her home office where she makes millions teaching people on the internet how to make millions. This will save her two seconds when she comes into the kitchen to make coffee. That translates into several hundred dollars in increased income. Cha-ching!

7:40 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Ooh, you know what'd be awesome?!

A telekineses Handy Caddy!

Why use even one hand when you can simply use your mind?

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Dave said...

The Handy Caddy exists only because the brains are already dead.

All this "saved time"? What are we going to do with it?

11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone much smarter than I am (it's a big field) taught me to position the coffee-maker by the spray-thingy, and use that to fill the reservoir. Still, I suppose that smacks of effort, what with the squeezing and all.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

There are some things that able-bodied people don't realize can make life easier for the elderly and disabled. This is NOT one of those things...I have arthritis, and even I can move a coffee maker! When the time comes that I can't, I imagine I'll need a lot more help than the "Handy Caddy" can provide. As a matter of fact, I think I'd practically have to be on my deathbed to be incapable of sliding a plastic coffee maker forward and back a few inches. Now if they come up with something that can kneel down and stand up for me, I'll cry tears of joy! - Lisa B.

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home