Friday, June 18, 2010

The 3-Day: Something To Consider ...

Note: I'm not putting the Ambassador badge on this. This is a personal 3-Day post, one walker to another.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, namely, the gym to which I once belonged, back in the days when I taxed my muscles on a regular basis, much to their chagrin, I came to be a fan of what one of my brothers affectionately calls "the magic pills."

The magic pills, you say? Whatever might those be?

The magic pills are these.

They're amino-acid capsules. Amino acids, if you're not remembering biology class at the moment, are the building blocks of protein. Or, put in reverse, the result of protein that has been synthesized by your body.

And how is this relevant to the 3-Day, you ask?

The reason these pills are "magic" is because they greatly reduce muscle soreness by, if I understand this right, making the full complement of amino acids readily available to muscles for repair.

Now, let me insert a bit of disclaimer:

I am not in any way recommending that you take these supplements either while participating on the 3-Day or as part of your daily diet. I am making you aware of their existence. You should talk to your health-care provider and/or pharmacist if you are interested in adding them to your dietary and/or workout regimens to ensure that they are appropriate for your circumstances.

OK? OK.

I have yet to meet the person who completes a 3-Day without any muscle soreness. You're likely to see an awful lot of walkers moving rather gingerly through camp, especially after dinner on Day 1, once everyone's come to a rest after a day full of walking. While in camp, it is a very good idea to stretch. There will be areas set aside for just that purpose.

The amino capsules have proven very helpful to me on past walks. I take a couple here and there throughout the course of the day at pit stops, and then take a few more with dinner each night.

I'm still a bit sore, but manageably sore, not "Oh my God, I can't believe I have to move" sore.

I buy them at a nutrition joint that sells supplements, but you can find them online, too.

Again, I'm not telling you to use them. I'm telling you that they exist. You need to evaluate for yourself if they're appropriate. Given that they're simply the building blocks of protein, I can't imagine why anyone would have an issue with taking them, but everybody is responsible for what they ingest.

Food for thought, as it were.

Hope everyone's training is going well. It's hard to believe the season is almost here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home